Lets Show Off those Polypterus!

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Draco!!! That black sen is awesome!!!! It's melanistic right?

CDM

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2005
GobyMaster;1625755; said:
Wow, CDM, you are a really good photographer.

Great looking bichirs, Jakob!
Great thanks for the comment.

draco;1627518; said:
Hey CDM what kind of filtering and water changes do you keep on that 180 with all those monsters in there. I only ask because I have a 125 with a fire and tiretrack eel 2 senegalus and a palmas 2 ropes and them some smaller scavengers and danio. I would like to add a couple more bichirs but don't want to push the limits. I would think you must have quite a bio load with all those awesome fish in yours. Here are some pics of mine.
I use a 60gal sump tank for the 180gal tank that makes a total water of 240gal and create large filtering volume and reacting surface. I do 1/4 water change every week, and got no problem so far.

Infblue;1627684; said:
superb photos CDM! i love both of your congicus especially! male bichirs a lot of times don't like to eat as much and can be hard to put on some mass, but your big congicus has gotta be the roundest male bichir i've seen! good job!

according to CDM, their staple diet is feeder goldfish, buffet style :D so i guess its all down to the individual's feeding/hunting instinct.
yoimb0b;1627422; said:
CDM how do you make sure they all get a good amount of food? Do you feed everyday? Just curious cause I only have 9 bichirs, and even with 9 its hard for them all to get food it seems.
Thanks bro for the comment and for helping the answer, yeah, I just dump in feederfishes, and leave them alone. I assume they'll get their food once they have needs (Well, it works so far).
Yeah, it's hard to get a broad body congicus. My other congicus in the same environment and the same feeding condition does not grow as thick as the broad one.

draco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2007
Wisconsin
Cohazard;1632619; said:
Draco!!! That black sen is awesome!!!! It's melanistic right?
No, actually it's just a plain old sen, but in a tank with black substrate she is really dark. It is really amazing the difference surroundings can make in there color. I'm trying to get a platinum sen to go with it. I think the contrast would be really awesome.

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
draco;1633205; said:
No, actually it's just a plain old sen, but in a tank with black substrate she is really dark. It is really amazing the difference surroundings can make in there color. I'm trying to get a platinum sen to go with it. I think the contrast would be really awesome.
wow really? I'm going to try that with black sand, see if I can get mine to go black. Very cool! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store