Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

chrisfraser05

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
scotland
God you really are everywhere Santa lol

My Nano tank and scrubber are running a treat now.

8 weeks and not a single trace of ammo, nitrate or phosphate since the tank started lol

Will update my journal on the algae scrubber forum at some point :)

knicks791

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2009
yonkers ny
SantaMonica;3181038; said:
New Screen Material

Well after months of figuring out what are the best attributes are for a scrubber screen, and also after getting reports from hundreds of people as to what screen material worked best for them, I think I've come up with a material that is perfect for the job. I'm offering this screen for free to anyone who wants to try it (just pay shipping). Here are some pics, and some advantages, to this material:

It's Clear Plastic: This allows light from one side of the screen to shine through to the other side. For a (new) two-sided screen, this means both sides of the screen get light from both bulbs; for one-sided screens, it means the dark side will still get some light from the bulb on the other side.

It's Thick: 1/4 inch (6mm). This allows much more room for algae to grip to, so washings/cleanings will not strip all the algae (no matter how hard you scrub). For total algae removal, you can just use a hair brush to push all the algae completely out. If you already have a pipe that is cut for canvas (usually a 1/8" or 3mm slot), you'll need to widen it to 5/16" (8mm).

It Flows Through: Since the screen is not solid, it allows algae from both sides to attach to each other in the middle, thus giving the algae even greater holding-power during cleanings and high flow.

It's Semi-Rigid: This gives a small screen enough strength to hold up a pipe by itself, and gives large screens the ability to prevent waviness, and from flopping out of position.

It's Bendable: You can put a large screen in a small sink for cleaning; it also is possible to bend the screen into a circular-screen configuration (i.e., inside a bucket.)

It Holds Roughness (after you rough it up). Attack it with 30 grit sandpaper, wire brushes, power sanders, etc, and the roughness will stay. Give yourself about one hour to rough up both sides.

It's Sturdy: It resists hard cleanings, even if you use fingernails, credit cards, or razors.

It's Reef Safe: Is made of standard hard-plastic material.

It can be used as-is for vertical screens, or it can be glued to a solid plastic sheet for horizontal screens (the sheet keeps water from flowing through the screen.)

So if anyone wants to try it, the screens I'm starting out with are a little smaller than a square foot; they are about 11.5" X 11.5" (29cm X 29cm). If you need two of these sheets to fit your scrubber, let me know. I'll keep the packing and shipping cost the same for everyone, $10 USD, including international. Paypal is easiest, but whatever works. PM me.

Is this egg crate?

c4a4y

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2009
Tumwater Wa
Just got this setup on my 150 gallon FW to provide extra filtration and help with any algae in the main tank. Let me know what your Ideas are... I'm running a 300 gph pump on the tower to run water over egg crate. Lots of surface for the algae to grow and not willing to put another light on...
[YT]Q8t1uUtco5M[/YT]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store