Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Well with yours, 24 hours light is not the problem, so it must be the velocity of flow that is getting faster at the bottom. Can you increase flow?
The velocity of flow must decrease due to the turbulant flow and friction loss. Velocity of flow would be high up top due to the initial pressure behind the flow.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Here is side view of the frame...Also can you see the shaded area and the growth print?
Is the type of algae that grows on the scrubbers used on freshwater tanks, low light algae? Where more light is unsuitable for growth?

Maybe put a piece of plastic that is kinda foggy over the entire setup and see if the possible reduced light works?

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Jgray152;2393863; said:
The velocity of flow must decrease due to the turbulant flow and friction loss. Velocity of flow would be high up top due to the initial pressure behind the flow.
You're both barking up the wrong tree. The water won't slow down, the layer would have to get thicker or roll off the edges to slow down. It also won't speed up unless it forms rivulets, or if it's quite thick at the top and the layer narrows at the bottom. A flow equilibrium is formed within a few inches of the top of the screen where the hydraulic losses balance gravity.

Point is, the growth he's seeing isn't flow related. I recall he's got heavy growth near the top of his scrubber too where the pipe shades the screen a bit. I'd tend to lean in with Jgray's second suggestion that the F/W algae may have different light requirements than the S/W

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
cvermeulen;2393923; said:
You're both barking up the wrong tree. The water won't slow down, the layer would have to get thicker or roll off the edges to slow down. It also won't speed up unless it forms rivulets, or if it's quite thick at the top and the layer narrows at the bottom. A flow equilibrium is formed within a few inches of the top of the screen where the hydraulic losses balance gravity.

Point is, the growth he's seeing isn't flow related. I recall he's got heavy growth near the top of his scrubber too where the pipe shades the screen a bit. I'd tend to lean in with Jgray's second suggestion that the F/W algae may have different light requirements than the S/W
cvermeulen, is correct the speed in which the water flows is relatively the same all the way down...
It is the shaded areas that have the thickest light green and dark green growth...Also there are little protrusions that are in the shaded area. Almost like tiny thorns (for lack of better description), I'll try to get a macro shot of them...

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
SantaMonica;2394150; said:
Well if shading gets more growth, you can try turing the screen at an angle.
I am going to let this one go until I have to scrape, then I'll try something else...to many changes and I'll not know how to duplicate the results...
I am curious why direct isn't better than indirect...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store