Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
zennzzo;2437252; said:
Is that right? I have steered many a knot with EMI electrohydraulic steering system...
I work for Teleflex Marine - Parent company of the Seastar brand, so we do small pleasure craft stuff mostly. I ought to pick your brain a bit outside this thread... cuz despite my occupation I don't actually know that much about boating!

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Good try, but you're thing in the wrong dimension. Kinda like how the dumping-design folks never thougt to do a waterfall... they just made different version of dumpers. When I post it on the scrubber site, you'll see. As slim as 1/2" if manufactured correctly, but 1" is easier. No gas exchange problems, fully open. After Worley get the registration problem fixed, I'll start it. I'm water testing it now. Very, very hard to build though. Makes acrylic builds seem like preschool.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
SantaMonica;2437673; said:
Good try, but you're thing in the wrong dimension. Kinda like how the dumping-design folks never thougt to do a waterfall... they just made different version of dumpers. When I post it on the scrubber site, you'll see. As slim as 1/2" if manufactured correctly, but 1" is easier. No gas exchange problems, fully open. After Worley get the registration problem fixed, I'll start it. I'm water testing it now. Very, very hard to build though. Makes acrylic builds seem like preschool.
Ok, well, after patronization like that, there better be a fantastical ending to this story, cuz I don't see how you plan do to it. Many of your success stories report over 1/2" of growth on each side of the screen in a week... so even if the screen is zero thickness, the lights have to be over 1/2" away. Only other way I can see you're thinking is to make the screen itself luminous, but that presents it's own set of problems.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Hmmm. This will be intersting..

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Results Of The Day:

Johnt on the UR site: "corals are doing extremely well, the water is clear, and the rocks are starting to look like new. the scrubber is improving things; I'm getting better growth and the rocks are clearing, N & P are up and down a bit, as I keep cleaning the screen too well, but are remaining low even though I've not had the skimmer, rowaphos reactor or carbon running for 2 months."

Sinful_Waters on the RS site: "Ok I couldnt resist! After reading and reading forum after forum, I had to know what all the excitement was about with the ats. End result, miracles happen! Ive spent the last year and a half battling the green stuff, with excessive waterchanges, phosphate reactor, etss skimmer, limited lighting period, pulling by hand, constant dusting with turkey baster, Lawnmower blen, blue leg hermit, lettice nudis, astrea snails, super clean sand, remote dsb, etc, etc, etc. The algae covered every inch of LR and was seriously suffocating my corals. What do we do when the tough gets going, we build an ats! I did as was advised and built the 5 gal [bucket] with a doulble sided screen, two 21 watt, 6500k compact flourecent bulbs, and the flow is supplied from my overflow and returned into sump. I do a light scrubb on the screen about every 4 days, and thats all. It actually took a few weeks to get the green going, but when it did the [nuisance] algae in the tank started to melt away. It went away so fast I was literally worried that my fish, crabs, snails would all be deprived of the green feast. Long story short, overfeeding is not in my vocab, and my sps, lps, corals have beautiful color and growth, with perfect tank conditions and stability. Being on a limited budget I couldnt be more pleased at the ease of the build and its amazinig effectiveness (excuse the spelling)."

Keifer1122 on the RS site: "update: the ats on 75 gallon, almost 2 months, been put on with only about 20lbs live rock, [...] also 8 fish, 1 1/2" of sand. N & P undetectable, all params good, havent done a water change in 2 months. had to do about 20 gallon wc every week before the install. $$$$$$$. 12 gallon aquapod with ats been about 17 days. N is about 10, was 15 before the install, with pair of percs feeding 3 times a day pellets in the morning and afternoon, with a pinky nail cube of rods, also piece of silverside every week for the Bta. the numbers arent falling fast, but its steady (with a 2gal water change i could boost the process or just cut feedings). coral growth: everythings growing like a weed including my yellow m.digitata that i got along with my screen from inland aquatics. all in all, tanks look sweet. life made easy."

Arab_NA on the MASA site: "My scrubber after 3 weeks, cleaning 1 side each 7 days: My PO4 went from 1.0 to below 0.1, and NO3 from 50ppm to 0ppm. I am feeding 3 times a day now and have no problems at all! Thanks SantaMonica for saving my tank and giving me back the love for this stunning hobby."

mudshark on the Masa site: "WOW things are starting to happen now. The algea is getting really thick on the screens after 20 days. I measured phosphate, which has always been low, as it was being used by algea in the display. It read a big fat 0. In fact it seems to be at a crossover point where the algea on the screens is growing faster, and regressing in the display. I've taken some pics of SPS colours now, altough they have already improved since the introduction of the screens. I'm hoping to post some further improved colours at a later stage."

Sly on the SWF site: I've had my scrubber running since September. When I started, my phosphates were 8-10 ppm or maybe higher. The test water turned a very dark blue, indicating high phosphates. Today I did a test and can verify that my phosphates are now between 2 and 4 ppm. I am still getting massive growth in the scrubber.. So far the nitrates have reduced some, but not much... maybe by 5 ppm. I am seeing the greatest reduction in phosphate so far. Maybe the nitrate will start going down some more as the phosphate gets consumed completely. Some background: Tank has been running for 7 years. Using RO/DI water, ozone, refugium with macros, UV sterilization, skimmer and [now] scrubber. I don't really do water changes. The last one I did was sometime in 2007. I have had high phosphates for quite a while, and nitrates have been higher than I wanted, but still manageable. My fish and corals are still growing and thriving. I have never seen anything that would reduce the phosphate in my tank. Even water changes only lowered them momentarily. They would go back up in just a few days. This is the first time I've ever seen a reduction in phosphates. I suspect that in another month they may well be at 0ppm. Nitrate reduction still remains to be seen. Overall though, I think the scrubber was a positive addition to my tank. I'm finally starting to get some more corraline growth like I used to have. The growth is slow but I do see a definite increase in the vibrance and quantity of corraline in my tank."

aglarond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm planning out a fw scrubber built inside a piece of 6" or smaller PVC fed by the tank overflow with a fluorescent tube running through the middle of the pipe and with the effluent running into a sump. It will be unobtrusive and take the place of a normal overflow drainpipe. Will update when finished.

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Middle of somewhere, Oulu Wisconsin
A couple of questions for you SantaMonica:

1) How big a scrubber would you recommend to support 1/2 pounds of fish per gallon of freshwater?

2) How big a scrubber should I build for a 30,000 gallon system?

Respectfully,
FireMedic.

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Middle of somewhere, Oulu Wisconsin
My good friend directs an experimental aquaculture facility here. He and I are discussing the addition of rays.
Point is he wanted to know how big the scrubber might have to be to treat 30-50K gallons in his system (currently). It is a recirculating aquaculture system. He breeds Sturgeon, Perch, Trout, Herring, Salmon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store