Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Question:

The DIY bucket or sump scrubber is basically a level 1 project. Simple, free, easy DIY, and works great. Yes they are a bit large and ugly, but who cares. Level 2 are the acrylics. Self contained, small (only six inches or so thick), powerful, and nice looking. But they are so hard to make that only two people besides me have made them (and one of them I had to get made for him). I thought that since so many people made DIY sumps and tanks, many more would have made nice looking acrylics. Guess not. And only one person is on the builder list.

Well now I'm working on level 3. Ultra small (one inch thick), high light power, unbreakable, etc. Basically the same scrubbing power as a level 1 in a sump, but the size of a book. Problem is, they are impossible to DIY. So my question is, would anybody want to discuss the building of something that they can't build themselves?

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
I havent run across ANYthing that I couldn't DIY...
Whatcha got?
Ditto here too.

So....Will this work on the outlet of a cannister filter?
Yes it could

Need more info. Has nothing to do with cannisters. If your system is high in nitrate and phosphate, and you build a scrubber with flow and STRONG light, then the scrubber will remove the nitrate and phosphate, and any nuisance algae that you have.
I think we need to revisit this (in bold above). I do believe that less light on freshwater will work better considering the results given in this thread.

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
zennzzo;2434141; said:
I havent run across ANYthing that I couldn't DIY...
Whatcha got?
How about a roof sized one for a fish store? LOL

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Problem is, they are impossible to DIY. So my question is, would anybody want to discuss the building of something that they can't build themselves?
I hardly doubt this, with the proper equipment, anything can be built. I have lots of equipment, what are your thoughts and I can let you know if its impossible to DIY.

How about a roof sized one for a fish store? LOL
Actually, I may be purchasing a fish store called the Fish Bowl ether this year or next year, I hope. I will be making one of these in a more professional fasion ofcourse, to run on all my tanks.

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
Jgray152;2434148; said:
I hardly doubt this, with the proper equipment, anything can be built. I have lots of equipment, what are your thoughts and I can let you know if its impossible to DIY.

Actually, I may be purchasing a fish store called the Fish Bowl ether this year or next year, I hope. I will be making one of these in a more professional fasion ofcourse, to run on all my tanks.
You are going to add this to the saltwater bank?

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
On all setups, Freshwater, brackish and saltwater.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store