Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Liam is the most correct: When you clean the screen (and remove excess algae), you remove nitrate and phosphate. And as for water changes, if reducing nitrate and phosphate is THE reason for a the water change, then yes, you will reduce/eliminate THOSE water changes.

carcrazy: To eliminate humidity/evap, just enclose the scrubber.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Here's a queation, why does the growth medium need to be a screen? wouldn't a sheet of plexiglas or something work just as well?

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
Ok I'm all for the DIY adventure...I'm running mine outside with lighting courtesy of Mother Earth.

Started with a 1/8th sheet of clear plexi. 32 x 15 = 480 x 2 = 960 sq.inches.(good for a 650gal huh?:naughty::naughty:)
I sanded the plexi sheet with 40 grit in a cross-hatch pattern.

Did the frame with 3/4" PVC pipe and couplings.
I cut the slots with a table saw for the water to flow and used zip ties to keep it in place...
A 1/2" hose barb for the water inlet on a "T"

I'm building the stand so it will set in a small rubbermaid tote. I'll run a submersible pump with prefilter via hose to the 1/2" hose barb, then I will plumb an overflow, 1" gravity fed, a few inches off the bottom of the tote, back to the pond...

These are pics of what I have so far...

1.1.jpg

1.0.jpg

1.2.jpg

1.3.jpg

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Great! Make sure you are measuring everything so that we can see how well it works, and can keep up on how long it takes it to kick into high gear!

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
cvermeulen: Some people try to use acrylic or plastic sheet. They will grow, but the problem is that when you clean it, everything comes off and you have to start growing from scratch again. This means you get three or four days of zero filtering. You can try drilling hundreds of small holes in the sheet, but it's easier to just find a screen.

zenn: Way to go! Good to have another great build. Ok here are some observations:

The general rule is one square inch of physical screen size, lit both sides, per gallon. So yours is 480 square inches. If it is lit properly from top to bottom, it will be good for 480 gallons. If your tank is 650, it will still work, but will require cleaning more often than once a week.

For flow, you take the number of inches wide the screen is (15), times 35, to get 525 gph (adjustable). Can your setup supply that?

Overall, looks great!

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
SantaMonica;2305414; said:
cvermeulen: Some people try to use acrylic or plastic sheet. They will grow, but the problem is that when you clean it, everything comes off and you have to start growing from scratch again. This means you get three or four days of zero filtering. You can try drilling hundreds of small holes in the sheet, but it's easier to just find a screen.

zenn: Way to go! Good to have another great build. Ok here are some observations:

The general rule is one square inch of physical screen size, lit both sides, per gallon. So yours is 480 square inches. If it is lit properly from top to bottom, it will be good for 480 gallons. If your tank is 650, it will still work, but will require cleaning more often than once a week.

For flow, you take the number of inches wide the screen is (15), times 35, to get 525 gph (adjustable). Can your setup supply that?

Overall, looks great!
OK I understood it to be 480 each side.Hmmmm lemme look for another piece of Plexi 24x 30...

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Really try to use plastic canvas; it will produce much higher results at your current size, than trying to get another piece of plexi. Info:

Try going to hardware stores, craft stores, garden stores, sewing stores, or just get one of these online:

This "plastic canvas" one might be easier to get into the slot after cleaning, and the edges will not wear; it also will hold it's shape so that a solid frame may not be needed:
http://www.everythingplasticcanvas.com/pc-20049-260-plastic-canvas-7-mesh-12-x-18.aspx

This "rug canvas" is made from fiber so that algae sticks to it the best; but it does not hold its shape when wet, so it will need a solid frame. Also, the edges will wear, so the frame will have to hold the edges down:
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2099&PRODID=prd12195

This "tank divider" is mentioned here because you can get it in any LFS, and because they come with clip-on edges that are great frames for any screen. However the screen material itself is very thin and smooth (needs sanding) with not many holes, thus during cleaning it's hard to get algae to stay on the screen:
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/2/Tank-Dividers/tank divider/0

Overall the rug canvas will grow the most algae the quickest, but takes the most work to keep it in place. The tank divider is the easiest and most available, but you'll get a few days of no filtering after cleanings. I think the plastic canvas is best for most people; it holds algae on the screen after cleanings, and it holds it's shape when wet and when cleaning in the sink.

Many people ask about using the fiberglass screen from their windows (never use metal!). The main problem of this kind of "soft" screen will be getting it into the slot in the waterfall pipe; it will bend and fold too much. One way around this is to loop it around the waterfall pipe and attach it to itself, instead of slipping it into a slot. In this case you don't need a slot; a series of holes will work. But this screen door method is only a last resort though, and will not work that well long-term, because the algae will start blocking flow out of the pipe since it's wrapped around it (it will need to always be trimmed.)

js302

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
England
great thread. thanks...
will try to get one put together when i get some time.

i read that the cleaning actually gets the phosphates and nitrates 'out of the system'...but... even before cleaning, the nitrates and phosphates are no longer in soluble form 'in the water' so the fish are not exposed to them.

i read that the cleaning is the expulsion (the 8oz bit) from the system but just the growth of the algae is enough to 'sink' the unwanted compounds.

again, great post!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store