Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

crazy clowntang

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 20, 2008
virginia
I would like to do this on a freshwater setup, but there has been no one on this site that has had one working on FW setup. I am glad to see this is a success on SW setups. Which is good because I will setup my reef tank again (after 2 yrs) and I will defientely build one of these scrubbers.

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
I know this thread is deep in numbers, but there are a couple of fresh water set-ups that were posted...I know because one of them was mine on an outdoor pool/pond using the sun for the growing of algae...;)
think my project starts around post #127

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
crazy clowntang;3230089; said:
I would like to do this on a freshwater setup, but there has been no one on this site that has had one working on FW setup. I am glad to see this is a success on SW setups. Which is good because I will setup my reef tank again (after 2 yrs) and I will defientely build one of these scrubbers.
one of the pics in his last post had one in an outdoor koi pond. so freshwater application seems to work

crazy clowntang

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 20, 2008
virginia
yogurt_21;3230303; said:
one of the pics in his last post had one in an outdoor koi pond. so freshwater application seems to work
Yeah but it does not tell the before and after as far as water quality goes. I wanna see someone who had bad water parameters and then had good results with this in a FW application. All the nice "make me feel good" stories are in SW tanks.

Zennzzo, how were your results using this scrubber? could you tell a difference?

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
crazy clowntang;3230433; said:
Zennzzo, how were your results using this scrubber? could you tell a difference?
Yes, this scrubber worked for me...I saw a drop from >40ppm Nitrates to <10ppm and the green Algae clears out almost like magic. My scrubber was powered by the sun, and there were shady times in the AM and late afternoon.
Keep in mind the pool/pond was also in direct sunlight as well...

I am working on a unit with 2x 26 watt/100watt rated CFL's for my 225g FW, that will work in my 90g sump. I'm trying to work out using the flow from the DART 3600gph pump I have, diverting flow off the return. I'll post it up when I get it done and running...;)

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
zennzzo;3230482; said:
Yes, this scrubber worked for me...I saw a drop from >40ppm Nitrates to <10ppm and the green Algae clears out almost like magic. My scrubber was powered by the sun, and there were shady times in the AM and late afternoon.
Keep in mind the pool/pond was also in direct sunlight as well...

I am working on a unit with 2x 26 watt/100watt rated CFL's for my 225g FW, that will work in my 90g sump. I'm trying to work out using the flow from the DART 3600gph pump I have, diverting flow off the return. I'll post it up when I get it done and running...;)
Sounds sweet. Keep me posted bro :)

mendicu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
USA
I like the setup by "Reefme" with the LEDs, low wattage, temps and I know LEDs work in other grow ops. Has there been any other info on LED powered scrubbers? like results after a couple of weeks?

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
LED tests have all failed because nobody uses powerful enough ones. Thus LED's cannot be recommend unless you are just experimenting. If you want to experiment, start with one of these on both sides of the screen:

http://shop.sunshine-systems.com/product.sc?productId=10

The one Reefme made is a good design, but it is not going to grow anything until the LED's are replace with a T8 or a few T5.

You cannot replace 25 or 50 watts of flourescent power with 1.5 watts of LED's. You have to use 25 or 50 watts of power LED's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store