Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Jgray152;2311194; said:
Good question. Just need to use water proof lighting which may be one of the reasons its been used external.
I think a lot of LED's can be water proofed. I'm just trying to find a way to work this into one of my existing setups without creating more water flushing noise, and without occupying any new space in the stand.

I'm thinking just stick a large lamp in the sump and let the algae grow on the available surfaces. One could just scrape off the unwanted growth when doing water changes.

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Good efforts on trying to find ways to use LEDs :)

Im wondering how much light is wasted and not used for photosynthisis
Quite a bit.

The 3 watts alone are really really bright and im wondering if we really need to use that much lumens considering we will be lighting up a very small area and not a room or spot of a large area.
I looked at the ones you linked to; says equivalent to 20 or so watt bulbs. If that is incandescent, then it's way to small. But my knowlege is limited here.

1000-3000 Lumens for LEDs is just insane and so out of this world pricey
Some folks on another thread found 1000 lumen for $100 or so. I think. But you do need high output.

Here's a thought... any reason the screen could not be submerged in a sump?
No... won't grow. Must be a thin film of flowing or splashing water.

Why don't you just do a simple experiment with what you have? Not full size. Just use a plasic bowl, and some air line tubing for the water flow pipe (slit it lengthwise). Use a tiny nano pump, and one of those small LEDs. If you can fill up the screen with algae in a week, two weeks max, then you know if you up-size it to aquarium size, it will work.

without creating more water flushing noise
When built properly, the waterfall is silent.

I'm thinking just stick a large lamp in the sump and let the algae grow on the available surfaces. One could just scrape off the unwanted growth when doing water changes.
You can do this as an experiment, but you can't clean in-system on a regular basis. You need a screen that you can remove and take to the sink to clean; otherwise your water will start yellowing.

Here is the one LED design so far; This one is from "snailrider" on the AC site:

And this info is from "oceanus" on the SGRC site, edited slightly for readability:

"Not all LEDs light will work on plant culturing. Some LEDs may seem to be very bright in the eyes, but they lack the wavelengths needed for plant photosynthesis. Here is a extract from Photo Morphogenesis in Plant by R.E. Kendrick and G.H.M. Kronenberg (Published in 1986, Martinus:

Relation between WAVELENGTHS and PLANT CULTIVATION:

1) Plant photosynthesis occurs at a wavelength of 400 nm to 700 nm.

2) Certain wavelengths have greater influence on photosynthesis, 400 to 525 nm (blue color)
and 610 to 720 nm (red color) are the biggest contributors to photosynthesis.

3) Wavelength between 520 to 610 nm (green color) has the lowest ratio in plant pigment
absorption

In regards to the principles stated above, organic lighting that is sold in the market usually refers to two specific wavelengths, the red and blue wavelength. From a distance, the color of this light is pink in color.

As for white LEDs, most of these utilize a blue color chip with a coating of yellow phosphor; with this combination, white light is the end result. Therefore, the energy distribution of this white light has two distinct peaks at 445 nm (blue color) and 550 nm (yellowish-green color), but organic life also needs wavelengths at 610 to 720 nm (red color), and white light lacks this wavelength. This is the reason why white LEDs are not advantageous for organic life cultivation."

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
Here's one reason I really like using scrubber without a skimmer. My purple gorg and red feather star stay open and extended all day and night, even though they naturally do so only during the night. But since there is no skimmer removing organics (food), and since the scrubber adds pods to the water all day, not only do they eat well, but they do so 24/7. Note: You cannot keep filter feeders likes these if you have a skimmer...

Hi-Res: http://www.radio-media.com/fish/My90starAndGorg.jpg

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Some folks on another thread found 1000 lumen for $100 or so. I think. But you do need high output.
I found a 1000 lm as well, not for sale but just the description. I just don't understand why we need 1000 lm of light. That is incredibly bright and algae doesn't need a lot of light to grow. I have algae growing in my tank with very very little light.

The LEDs I found have the right wavelengths so thats not the issue. Just the intensity of the light.

For example, the lighting in my design will be about 3-4" away from the screen. It will be used on my 55 gallon tank so I don't need a large screen and the viewing angles of 115 degree should be more than enough.... I would think.

For some reason, I beleive there is just a "saying" and no actual testing of LEDs with lower LM ratings using the correct wave length and viewing angle.

The only 1000LM emitter I can find is in white. I have found a 20 watt blue and red emitter. Blue being 240 lm and Red being 340lm while the white of the same wattage is 900lm.

I think there is some testing that needs to be done because all I have see is people saying to go with this or that without factual information backing it.

hmt321

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2006
Mobile, Alabama, United States
Just an idea to maximize surface area,

the interior diameter of a piece of 6" pvc pipe is approximately 16-18 square ft per inch in length

that is close to about 850 sq/ft for a 4' piece

If the water could be rigged to run down the interior of a pipe, and have the strip light in the center, you could realy maximize space for larger tanks

something like that could even be hung over a sump.

a 2" piece of pvc 12" long has an interior diameter of aprox 70 sq/ft

I may play around with this over the weekend

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
algae doesn't need a lot of light to grow
Well my bucket had 5000 lumens, and it still only grew well within 4 inches of the bulbs. My acrylic unit has 8000 lumens, and is kickin' butt. However you can certainly try a smaller test and see how it goes. You'll know in a week.

The LEDs I found have the right wavelengths so thats not the issue. Just the intensity of the light.
Intensity is everything. When someone on another thread has problems, invariably it is the light.. to little or too far. Every time.

For some reason, I beleive there is just a "saying" and no actual testing of LEDs with lower LM ratings using the correct wave length and viewing angle.
Correct. Only one person has built one so far. But, a lumen is a lumen.

HMT: The problem with a tube design is the cleaning; see my videos here:

Hi-res:

Part 1: http://www.radio-media.com/fish/Scraping1.mpg
Part 2: http://www.radio-media.com/fish/Scraping2.mpg
Part 2: http://www.radio-media.com/fish/Scraping3.mpg
Part 3: http://www.radio-media.com/fish/Scraping4.mpg

YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypgNfJV6gBo#
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9vlUorbooo#
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo4mBWWuuQ#
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2msQ4Nw0pYc#

... you COULD use a 5 gal bucket with the screen on the walls of the bucket, but it would still be difficult.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
the interior diameter of a piece of 6" pvc pipe is approximately 16-18 square ft per inch in length
The Interior diameter of a 6" PVC pipe is probubly around 5.50". Are you talking about the interior surface area of the circumfrence? if so, there is no way there is 16-18 sq ft in 1" of length. An "area" of a 5.5" ID cylinder 1" deep equals 23.7 sq In.

The surface area of a tubes circumfrence for every inch of 5.5" ID tube is 8.6"

Well my bucket had 5000 lumens, and it still only grew well within 4 inches of the bulbs. My acrylic unit has 8000 lumens, and is kickin' butt. However you can certainly try a smaller test and see how it goes. You'll know in a week.
I noticed in your video you are using a bucket with the lighting coming from the top surface area trying to illuminate the entire screen with enough light while lots of the light is wasted on the interior walls of the bucket and only a very small percentage is reflected toward the screen. This could be the reason you need so much light intensity because you are don't have 100% direct light from the bulbs. If you some how take one of those lights and place it right in front of the screen only 3-4" away, think it will work better? I want to say yes (without testing ofcourse I could be wrong).

I like disecting situations and like to try and find out why something works the way it is.

Here is a site that tell you their LED grow lights (for green houses) surpass Metal Halide of a much high wattage. For example, their 300 watt LED setup which puts out 9000 Lumens, surpasses a matal halide of 1500 watts which seems to be above 150K Lumens as long as their LED setups are 3" from the canopy folliage. This is due to the wavelength radiation. White lights may need LOTS more lumens just so that a wavelenth lets say of 460nm, actually helps the plants. Same for the Red wavelength. Which I think there blue in white so maybe its the red that there is less of or even lacking completly.
http://www.fuzzlight.com/

SantaMonica

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Santa Monica, CA, USA
clowntang: glad you like it. I have a clown tang as my largest fish, and will show it when I post my updated pics and vids.

If you some how take one of those lights and place it right in front of the screen only 3-4" away, think it will work better?
Well that's what the acrylic unit is/does. The purpose of the bucket was just to be an easy-to-build example. It did work well with just two bulbs, however. I looked at the fuzzlight sight, and yes those would work but they are expensive. Comparing the second one (two of these) and third one (one of these) to my acrylic unit (4 T5HO's)...

................. LED1.......LED2.......T5HO's on my Acrylic

Lumens.... 4400.........9500........8000
Sides.........Two.........One.........Two
Watts........180...........300..........96
Cost..........$1,100......$1,349......$100

The LEDs do have the advantage of small size, safety. And maybe you need far less lumens. Someone will have to test and see.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Those fuzzlight setups are two expensive and large for our needs but it was just an example of using direct wavelengths could yeild lower lumens and less power consumption.

Im hoping my financial status bounces high before winter and I will give it a shot, untill then. its on hold like my other projects.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store