Money plant in pond?

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Picked up this beautiful money(pothos)plant today. Any ideas how to plant it in a pond? Should I completely wash away the dirt and just put the vines in water? I have done this before with smaller money plants but not with larger ones. Any help would be appreciated.
1000020777.jpg
1000020778.jpg
1000020779.jpg
1000020780.jpg

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Picked up this beautiful money(pothos)plant today. Any ideas how to plant it in a pond? Should I completely wash away the dirt and just put the vines in water? I have done this before with smaller money plants but not with larger ones. Any help would be appreciated.
View attachment 1547898
View attachment 1547899
View attachment 1547900
View attachment 1547901
Clean off all the dirt from the roots and prop it in the water with the actual plant on the top and the roots in the water. You might want to put it in a little plant holder or something in the water so it doesn't just float mindlessly like my brain on a math test, lol.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Clean off all the dirt from the roots and prop it in the water with the actual plant on the top and the roots in the water. You might want to put it in a little plant holder or something in the water so it doesn't just float mindlessly like my brain on a math test, lol.
What kind of plant holder? I don't think there are any for ponds. I might have to come up with something DIY.
Maybe you can cut a hole large enough in some styrofoam to hold the pot and let it float. If it’s too heavy, maybe replace the soil with foam?
Are you sure? Won't the fish try to bite the styrofoam? Plus i want the roots in the water and grow in water only. Also the long vines, should i cut them?

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I'm not sure of the suitability of that plant growing in your pond. The reason I say that is it looks like one of the those "trailing" type plants that looks great in a hanging basket type thingy.

If you put it in your pond aren't the stems and leaves just going to float aimlessly on the surface, eventually dying?

And that floor is a disgrace! You're gonna give your mum and dad a heart attack. I know you're only a kid but jeesh, learn to use a mop!!

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
I'm not sure of the suitability of that plant growing in your pond. The reason I say that is it looks like one of the those "trailing" type plants that looks great in a hanging basket type thingy.

If you put it in your pond aren't the stems and leaves just going to float aimlessly on the surface, eventually dying?

And that floor is a disgrace! You're gonna give your mum and dad a heart attack. I know you're only a kid but jeesh, learn to use a mop!!
Its a pothos meaning a semi aquatic plant. I was thinking that if i somehow let the roots dangle in the water and adjust/tie the vines at the corner of my pond then it would eventually spread around the pond, making it look beautiful. Plus no extra maintenance like watering, fertilising, etc.
BTW the floor is clean. The stains you are seeing are of some sort of superglue which the previous owner used to completely fix his carpet to the floor. It requires a certain type of acid to remove it but the landlord has forbidden to use it since it may damage the tiles. My parents already know about it. I am going to put some sort of carpet to cover it up.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I’ve done pothos in tanks many times before, what I’d say for you is just to get some slate tiles or bricks, stack them up until it’s near the top, get the dirt off the roots, put the pothos in the cup and punch a few decent holes in the cup and leave the cup on the bricks but weigh it down so it doesn’t fall over. Let the vines drape over the side.

Most plants ideally want to grow with their roots in the water while their upper portion is in the air so they get the best of both worlds and grow most efficiently.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I have a thread on this

Pothos in your tank, easy peasy | MonsterFishKeepers.com

Vine pieces will do better submerged than potted ones adapted to soil. Potted plants submerged will lose/rot anywhere from 30% -60% then the plant will slowly adapt growing new roots/shoots. The leaves grown from submerged vines will be smaller.

You can grow them immediately with only the roots in water. Some people grow them in sumps or hob filters but be aware of potential bypass issues once the roots get thick.

My fish will sometimes bite the leaves and eat the roots. Acaras love ripping the leaves off and stripping the vines for eating/nesting. My parrots will bite the leaves on occasion and eat the roots.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store