Money plant in pond?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
...I might have to come up with something DIY...
Wow, you make it sound like this is the worst thing imaginable. :)

I hate to break it to you, but you are using a kiddie wading pool...to keep tropical fish...and have a vegetable stand modded and standing in there to grow a potted houseplant. You are already about waist deep in the horror that is DIY; any further and you will need a snorkel. :) Welcome to the dark side.

I like your latest evolutionary step in this project. Just two suggestions: first, if the bottom of the veggie-stand legs look like the top, then perhaps something to protect the pool liner from those cut edges might be in order? Maybe stand them on a piece of tile or plastic or something similar, something with smooth edges. You might also consider capping the bottom of the legs with some sort of foam foot for padding.

And second: those legs sticking up in the air like that are just begging to have you cobble together some sort of framework to act as a support for the pothos vine as it grows. You could make it so that it extends outward on all sides for several inches, perhaps even reaching to the side of the pond and fastening there as well. This would stabilize the whole thing exceptionally well against pacu persecution. You could also have this framework extend upwards to increase the space available for the plant to spread.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Further mulling over of your set-up has me thinking that if you put together the framework or arbor that I suggested, the plant would quickly grow up into and onto it. At that point, you could dispense with the entire veggie-stand and pot idea, and simply leave the plant with its emersed portion supported by the framework and its roots dangling down into the water. The arbor could span diagonally across one corner of the pond to support itself, or even stretch all the way across and create a narrow "bridge" connected to opposite sides, with nothing in the water other than the roots. I think this could look terrific! :)

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Wow, you make it sound like this is the worst thing imaginable. :)

I hate to break it to you, but you are using a kiddie wading pool...to keep tropical fish...and have a vegetable stand modded and standing in there to grow a potted houseplant. You are already about waist deep in the horror that is DIY; any further and you will need a snorkel. :) Welcome to the dark side.
LOL. That is true, i do a lot of DIY stuff. Always have to maintain the budget in this hobby LOL.
I like your latest evolutionary step in this project. Just two suggestions: first, if the bottom of the veggie-stand legs look like the top, then perhaps something to protect the pool liner from those cut edges might be in order? Maybe stand them on a piece of tile or plastic or something similar, something with smooth edges. You might also consider capping the bottom of the legs with some sort of foam foot for padding.
Thanks! Means a lot coming from you! I have heeded your advice and made the foots of the stand "pool proof".
Heres a pic of the bottom of the foot before adding any protection
1000021123.jpg

I fixed three pot scrubbies to each foot like this
1000021125.jpg
1000021126.jpg
1000021127.jpg
1000021128.jpg
I didn't use your tile idea since the pool's corners aren't exactly flat and touching the ground completely. They are raised like this
1000021129.jpg
One small mistake and the tile slides, tearing throught the pool.

As your idea for installing some sort of frame around those sticks in the air, I really like it. I will do it, once I get some materials. However during the three days, the two larger vines have adjusted and are now growing with the support of the corners like this, without the help of the clippers
1000021131.jpg
I am also noticing some new growth.
1000021132.jpg
1000021133.jpg

Here's the final look
1000021131.jpg
1000021134.jpg

I have noticed some growth throughout the rest of the plant aswell. Your idea sounds awesome, i will definitely implement it and keep you guys updated.

Last edited:

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
...Your idea sounds awesome, i will definitely implement it and keep you guys updated.
Woah! Nope, at least not without making some changes. I should have realized, as Fishman Dave Fishman Dave
pointed out, that your tank contains a pita...er, sorry, a pacu...who will do what they always do, i.e. wreck everything in sight. The plant could still be supported by the arbor or trellis, but those roots will need some kind of protection from that fish. Otherwise, I suspect that all parts of the plant that are below the waterline, or within an inch or two above it, will be nibbled away. :(

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Woah! Nope, at least not without making some changes. I should have realized, as Fishman Dave Fishman Dave
pointed out, that your tank contains a pita...er, sorry, a pacu...who will do what they always do, i.e. wreck everything in sight. The plant could still be supported by the arbor or trellis, but those roots will need some kind of protection from that fish. Otherwise, I suspect that all parts of the plant that are below the waterline, or within an inch or two above it, will be nibbled away. :(
True but Fishman Dave Fishman Dave also said that these things grew like crazy? Also I have planted a few plants before whose roots also dangled in the pond but the pacu showed no interest in them, only in the leaves and stems. Maybe it didn't like the root's taste? Even now when this plant got pulled in the water the pacu only destroyed the leaves and stems, not the roots.
Moreover If not ditch the entire stand idea, I can just use a simple, small plastic holed basket to just hold and protect the roots and place it over the top of the rock cave's top, carrying out with the rest of your idea.
What do you think?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store