Moving Jardini

Cabinetman 1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
I have a 17" Jardini I need to move to a larger tank. Looking for suggestions on best way to move him. The last time I netted him for medicine he got banged up pretty good. I was thinking of using a XXL clear bag but don't know where to find one. Thank you in advance!

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Clear bags suck. They do nothing to calm the fish, in fact quite the reverse; stress levels are at full maximum because they can see everything going on around them. That fish is a big muscular torpedo, and it takes a really heavy-duty bag to prevent him from going right through it.

An opaque bag like a pillow-case or similar would be preferable, and it's easy to guide slower, more sedate fish like catfish into it, but...why not just use a large, rubber-coated landing net sold for anglers? You can get a traditional bag-on-a-handle type, or you could use one of the "Muskie cradles" which are just a pair of long handles with a square or rectangular sheet of netting stretched between them. Guide the fish over top of it, lift both handles upwards, and the fish is enclosed/immobilized in a rubberized "taco" of netting; he won't get bent into a U-shape and is firmly kept under control. Easy peasy.

Either way, I'd have the tank covered as much as possible during the capture when dealing with a jumper like an Aro. Good luck!

Viktor is the pro here:

thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store