My favorite cats

jowens

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 6, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Does anyone have an opinion on tank decor affecting the amount of orange an apurensis has? Mine seems much darker than most I can find pics of online, but I keep him on dark gravel in a dimly lit tank. I wonder if lighter gravel would lighten his color and bring more orange out?

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
About color, the pic I showed of my c. fowleri, the bright orange one was an anomaly, actually if I recall the fish was temporarily stressed due to very low PH in the tank at the time, after a water change and PH adjustment the color changed back to the usual slightly orange but overall brownish hues as you see in most photos of the species. Their coloration does vary somewhat based on water conditions, lighting and mood but nothing extreme. I have experienced differences in color with other species, bullheads for example, based on gravel color, being almost pure black with a pale white belly in a dark tank with dark gravel to a pale olive back and a bright yellow belly in a well lit tank with bright yellow gravel, so it can make a difference. I didn't mean to mislead anyone with that photo as an example of the species as it's really not, I just thought it was a cool pic...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

jowens

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 6, 2008
Charlotte, NC
That's good info. Thanks Yellowcat.

I remember when you posted your apurensis for sale. I wanted to buy her, but live on the other side of the country.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store