My two Black wolves

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
caribemob;3648388; said:
my black doesnt move until night time, i think its because of the white gravel iam going to change when i move to black for sure
I currently have very light sand aswell, I plan to syphon it out and use black sand.

phillydog1958;3648396; said:
:) nice, but scary. they capture the essence of what a true predatory fish is.
Thanks. They do have a certain presence about them don't they.

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
The Ven Black the same as yours is very active, The second is very shy but is active when hungry. I think the secret is not to feed to much and keep them a little hungry. I feed then have a two day gap with all my large predators. Another specimin I know of is very simalar to mine and he also maintains a simalar feeding pattern.

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
hey jelly , i guess so but i went a week without feeding and he just stays there all day i was debating swapping him for another wolf maybe gold or prognatus

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
caribemob;3658373; said:
hey jelly , i guess so but i went a week without feeding and he just stays there all day i was debating swapping him for another wolf maybe gold or prognatus
caribemob;3658380; said:
are you sure, becuase i thausght mine was a xingu black which doesnt get bigger then your ven black, now i'm confused:confused:
I guess they all have their own personalities and yours may be just a bit more inactive. I wouldn't swap him. When he gets some real size on him he will be an awesume big black monster.

I have done a lot of investigation into this and the Xingu you have and the Venezualan I have are the same fish, now described as Hoplias curupira, part of the lacerdae group. curupira have a range through Venezuala and across northern Brazil including the Amazon and Xingu and a number of other rivers in the region, they cover the same range as aimara. By definition of the description of the species, ray counts etc. both the black wolves I have are the same species but I am not sure they are.

If you fancy a good read have a look at this doc. It describes the lacerdae group and their differences and locations. Now we need one of these for the Mala group. http://www.ufrgs.br/ni/vol7num2/v07n2a01.pdf

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
i know cause i want a mala species, but don't want a common one, i might get a microlepis too, but im not getting rid of my wolves

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store