New Baby Tiger Oscars

ken31cay

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
IMO nice looking Oscars, good pickup from Petsmart. I was in the U.S. last week and stopped in to the Petsmart in Boca Raton, FL. Their overall selection of fish was small and disappointing, and the few cichlids they had all looked to be mixed-breed mbuna.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
The thing with Oscar's, they don't mature till 1.5 years old. So you get all the size first before they can even start to breed. And the only way besides venting to sex them is the fins. In males the dorsal and anal fin will overlap the tail. In females these is no overlap.
Oscar's being what they are, they are easy to tease with food to get them near vertical. Then you get some pics of the vents. If simular is size it's a male if one is bigger it's female.

Here is my girl Toni, I got her near vertical to get the picture.
20171221_010658(0).jpg
Then used the zoom in function in editing, and you can clearly see one is bigger, so that makes her female. The big one is the one the eggs come from.20171221_210714.jpg

Reactions: Ogertron3000

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I did finally manage to get a picture of Papa bear, but Mama Bear is a bit shy when she sees the camera.

Anyhow, papa bear is definitely a male judging by the vents.

8B29205B-E558-47A1-8E98-6861140F6C3F.jpeg
Sorry about all the photo enhancements but they were otherwise almost impossible to discern.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
At first I thought I had a breeding pair of Oscars. They seemed so fond of each other.

But as they grew larger, I decided they both looked like males, physically, and that was that.

Well that was then and this is now.

The Oscars have been moving rocks and plants as per usual, and they seemed stumped by this big rock they couldn’t move. Distressed and forlorn, even.

I stuck my arm in the tank and moved the rock away a foot. I immediately got bit six times in 1.5 seconds.

I looked closer, realized my blunder, and got bit six more times as I replaced the rock.
6E4E61D6-2892-466F-89FF-235B8514FA18.jpeg

E9179637-4A8E-4A0D-8DDF-8EC949CC84AE.jpeg

I didn’t see the eggs drop, but Papa Bear was fertilizing the eggs. He is visibly the male fish, displaying a pearly white appendage for the first time.

They are both very aggressive, and guard their rock 24/7 from the catfish and snails

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Well I really screwed up when I disturbed the nest. I ticked off these Oscars and they ate all of the eggs.
Don't worry leave things be and stick to your same routine of feeding, water changes, etc.. The Oscar’s will spawn again. Did you see the Oscar’s eat the eggs? The catfish can get to the eggs after lights out. Congrats you don't hear about Oscar’s breeding to much.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Don't worry leave things be and stick to your same routine of feeding, water changes, etc.. The Oscar’s will spawn again. Did you see the Oscar’s eat the eggs? The catfish can get to the eggs after lights out. Congrats you don't hear about Oscar’s breeding to much.
I've read a article or a thread don't remember which one but that it takes Oscar’s years to mature and spawn. Well I know that isn't true anymore lol.

Reactions: Ulu
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store