Oscar lethargic, not eating, slightly bloated. Need help diagnosing and treating

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Yes I’m adding prime with every WC. Temp avg is ~77.7f. I’ll order some more substrate since he has light color sand that is slowly decreasing over the years. Good idea about the fake plants! I’ll see if Amazon has some decent options. Thinking about buying/ feeding him some live mealworms to see if appetite back at all.
Flukers reptile vines are great. Amazon has them. If you don't have a background add one. It reduces stress and aids sick fish. Add a couple floating fake lily pads too. Make the tank a cozy bed!

Reactions: Maxdevine00

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
each time you do a "just" 25% water change...
you leave 75% of the residual chemical waste products (nitrate) in the tank.

In nature, riverine species (like oscars), experience minimally, 100% water changes per day.
IMG_2214.jpeg

I have found that in my 300 gal system, (180gal tank, with 125 gal sump) a 30% water change every other day, and a heavily planted sump that consumes most residual nitrates is sufficient, and
I can keep most chronic diseases (such as HITH) at bay, without the use of 100s of $$$ in medications.
IMG_8395.jpeg
IMG_5355.jpeg
To me the question is, would you rather put in the time and care of proper husbandry?, or spend the time, stress, and money on meds?

Last edited:
Reactions: Maxdevine00 and AR1

Maxdevine00

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2020
Appreciate the tips on environment! He had a slight reversal in progress last night. More lethargic than prior day. Not sure what the issue is now because ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate <5. I bought live mealworms but he refuses to eat still. His bloating is essentially gone. Any idea if this is normal part of healing process or if I should think about using antibiotics(besides metronidazole).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store