outdoor stock tanks...successes and failures

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
I actually kept the water level a few inches lower in that tank than I normally would, wondering if that was a possibility. I guess I won't know for sure for a couple more weeks yet.

Nasties in my ponds? Well...I lost an entire tank of my beloved Goodeids once when a couple of blackbirds drowned in it...likely while catching and eating my fish!...and sank to the bottom while I was away for a few days, fouling the water beyond belief. I have lost a number of larger fish, mostly cichlids, to mink who would dive and catch them; that turned into a literal running gun battle.

We won't even go into detail about the stock tank that the bear climbed into, had a nice bath, took a giant crap in and then left...except to say that I was able to save many of those fish thanks to an unpleasant clean-up.

I have wood and chicken wire tops made up in case mink or bird predation becomes an issue again. I don't worry too much about dragonflies, water beetles and their larvae, backswimmers, etc.; I don't doubt that I lose some fry and smaller fish to those bugs, but to me that's part and parcel of keeping the fish outdoors. In fact, my inground pond was originally intended not to have fish in it; I quite enjoyed just sitting next to it and watching all the little creepy crawlies go about their business just under the surface. I only started keeping fish out there in response to the mosquitoes which, unsurprisingly in hindsight, began breeding like gangbusters.

I'm not specifically trying to breed my fish; I just want to keep them in the best conditions I can, to observe them acting as naturally as they are able. That usually includes inciting them to breed...but also includes expecting many of the fry to be eaten by...whatever. :)
Bloody hell mate I think I’ll take my waterboatmen bites than a bear haha

• Haha
Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Well...the fall teardown has begun.

We've had a few coolish days and even coolisher-er nights; air temperatures have dropped down to the low 40's (F) on a couple of occasions. Water temperatures have been as low as 48F in the mornings, warming back up into the low 60F-range when the sun warms things up.

So, despite the forecast calling for another warmer spell this week, I decided not to take chances and started bringing fish indoors. Every fish species I have outside has no problem dealing with this type of temperature range; it happens almost every year. Swordtails, Mollies, Heterandria, Jordanella, Gymnogeophagus, Cichlasoma dimerus, all can get down to the low 50's, for a continuous few days or weeks, and down into the 40's for at least a few hours on cold nights.

The exceptions are Bristlenose Plecos and Megalechis "Hoplo" cats; I started with them today and brought both indoors. I had apparently lost one adult Bristlenose (of the four I placed outdoors) and found only 12 young, but I think this is due more to the sedentary, bottom-dwelling nature of these fish rather than the recent temperature drop. They live right next to dragonfly nymphs and water tigers, and I think they pay the price; they don't lay huge number of eggs either.

I also lost one of the 6 Megalechis picta cats, and found no young at all. I had seen a couple of bubble nests but never spotted any young...but of course I had never seen the adults either since last spring. Insect predation? Predation by the adults on the fry? Dunno. M.thoracatum has done better for me outside, so maybe I'll try them again next year.

Gymnogeophagus rhabdotus did well again...so well that I found them in both tanks that flanked theirs, and even a single one two tanks over! Last year's spawn has grown big and beautiful in the sunshine, and I have probably 100 or so 3/8- to 1/2-inch fry. I love these little guys.

The best part of summertime stocktank ponds:
PXL_20240924_182322172.MP.jpg

PXL_20240924_182304749.MP.jpg

The worst part:
messy yard 1.jpg
messy yard 2.jpg

Don't even get me started on the upcoming need to go wading for goldfish in the inground pond....:(

Reactions: AR1

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Well...the fall teardown has begun.

We've had a few coolish days and even coolisher-er nights; air temperatures have dropped down to the low 40's (F) on a couple of occasions. Water temperatures have been as low as 48F in the mornings, warming back up into the low 60F-range when the sun warms things up.

So, despite the forecast calling for another warmer spell this week, I decided not to take chances and started bringing fish indoors. Every fish species I have outside has no problem dealing with this type of temperature range; it happens almost every year. Swordtails, Mollies, Heterandria, Jordanella, Gymnogeophagus, Cichlasoma dimerus, all can get down to the low 50's, for a continuous few days or weeks, and down into the 40's for at least a few hours on cold nights.

The exceptions are Bristlenose Plecos and Megalechis "Hoplo" cats; I started with them today and brought both indoors. I had apparently lost one adult Bristlenose (of the four I placed outdoors) and found only 12 young, but I think this is due more to the sedentary, bottom-dwelling nature of these fish rather than the recent temperature drop. They live right next to dragonfly nymphs and water tigers, and I think they pay the price; they don't lay huge number of eggs either.

I also lost one of the 6 Megalechis picta cats, and found no young at all. I had seen a couple of bubble nests but never spotted any young...but of course I had never seen the adults either since last spring. Insect predation? Predation by the adults on the fry? Dunno. M.thoracatum has done better for me outside, so maybe I'll try them again next year.

Gymnogeophagus rhabdotus did well again...so well that I found them in both tanks that flanked theirs, and even a single one two tanks over! Last year's spawn has grown big and beautiful in the sunshine, and I have probably 100 or so 3/8- to 1/2-inch fry. I love these little guys.

The best part of summertime stocktank ponds:
View attachment 1549793

View attachment 1549794

The worst part:
View attachment 1549823
View attachment 1549824

Don't even get me started on the upcoming need to go wading for goldfish in the inground pond....:(
That's a nice-looking yard you've got there, John! I'm assuming it will be turning pure white in the upcoming months with all the snowfall?

Sorry for your losses, but happy to hear about your achievements as well!

I have one question—why aren't those stock ponds in-ground? It seems like that could provide more structural integrity, hide the less pleasant view, and even help with insulation, which might allow you to leave some of the more cold-tolerant species out there.

And finally, I've heard that goldfish can survive freezing water, so why bother bringing them in?

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
That's a nice-looking yard you've got there, John! I'm assuming it will be turning pure white in the upcoming months with all the snowfall?

Sorry for your losses, but happy to hear about your achievements as well!

I have one question—why aren't those stock ponds in-ground? It seems like that could provide more structural integrity, hide the less pleasant view, and even help with insulation, which might allow you to leave some of the more cold-tolerant species out there.

And finally, I've heard that goldfish can survive freezing water, so why bother bringing them in?
Lol, goldfish (along with Rosy Reds, among others) are indeed completely capable of living in water that is frozen over...but they can't live if encased in solid ice, as they would be here. My inground pond is about 3.5 feet deep, which means that it will be solidly frozen right to the bottom for probably three months each year. No bueno.

Burying the stocktanks would have some of the advantages you mention, but it would also be a crapload of work to do! I'm not certain if the expanding ice would crack the tanks or not, and don't want to experiment with the possibility. If it were to work, I'm pretty sure that it would require carefully backfilling around the stocktank, filling all the gaps between it and the dug hole with sand? Or would it? It would definitely make emptying the tanks a lot more work; I'd need to pump them out, rather than just siphoning or opening the drain on the bottom of each one. Catching the fish would be more work as well; as it is now, I siphon the tanks down to a few inches, prop them up at one end to concentrate the fish, and then easily net them out.

A quick hosedown now cleans the tanks out in the fall; if they were buried, then every drop of water I put in for cleaning would need to be pumped back out, instead of just tipping them over for cleaning.

Reactions: AR1

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Great looking fish.

I tend to agree with you the extra work outweighs the benefits. But, playing on that idea, what if you built up around the tubs? So the bottoms are on the ground, but the rims are just above the raised soil line. Gets the benefits of both in ground and above ground. Or am I missing something?

That is also a lot of set up and work to do.
Something like this if my description wasn't clear.
1727311115241.png

However, looking at it now. It would mean bending over every time to look into it or catch fish. Which for me would make it more work yet again.

Reactions: AR1 and jjohnwm

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
However, looking at it now. It would mean bending over every time to look into it or catch fish. Which for me would make it more work yet again.
Yep, harder to watch 'em, harder to get at 'em, PITA cutting the grass (I already do way too much of that), not to mention the initial drudgery of moving all that dirt in the first place.

I don't mind doing a big job if it saves me work on an ongoing basis down the line; stuff like permanent drain lines linking all my tanks to an outdoor drain, or installing semi-permanent lines to re-fill tanks. But backfilling around these stocktanks would be a ton of work that would make me less comfortable in future, not more so.

Remember, too, that most of these fish only spend 4 months or so outside; even the most cold-hardy are still indoors for at least half the year.

Reactions: AR1 and cockroach

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Great thread, very enjoyable read and I look forward to seeing more pictures :) Oversummmering fish outdoors was one of my favourite parts of the hobby when I was still active.

Reactions: jjohnwm and AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store