>:( Penguin 350 Bio Wheel RIP OFF!!!!!

2004exrider

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2007
Ohio
Well, i sure am glad i spent a pretty penny on a faulty filter. It wasn't an impulse buy it was something i researched for a while and felt it would be a good purchase. But after a couple months i noticed the my bio wheels started to slow down and now one of the POS doesn't even move:irked: Is there anything i can do to improve it, or do i call it a loss and learn my lesson?

Jimmy

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
clean the filter, take apart everything and clean out all the gunk in it especially the tubes. this is nessecary with any filter but esp. with the penguins. ive been running 5 penguin filters for 3 years with no probs. clean the cups the wheels sit in as well and swish the wheels in tank water periodically to "clean" them. with all ive said i gotta say i have only had the problems yuor having when i didnt have enough filtration on my tanks, gumming up the filters very quickly. i havent done any maintinance on any of my penguins for like 2 years and they work perfect.

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
Bio-wheel stalling is one of the main reasons I only use Emporer filters now but I ran penguins for a lot of years without problems. Water-flow is everything....you need clean pads and you need to keep the inlet pipe clean as well. They are also notoriously poor at running on tanks with a lower water level.

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
my 75g rated filters never give me problems, but the 50g rated are crap. They are always stalling

mojo2776

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
Louisiana
When you do water changes, remove the bio wheel and float it in the tank. Swish it around in aquarium water periodically to clear the excess junk from it. Other than that minor maintenance, I've have very few problems with mine... been running it for 2 years now.

dexman1349

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2007
Denver, CO
Like stated above, the only thing I've needed to do was to swish the filter in the tankwater (usually the bucket I've used for my waterchanges), and do a quick wipe down of where they sit.

They've only stalled once, and that was the first time I learned that I need to do that.

ZCciVic22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have a tone of the bio-wheel filters. Right now I'm running 2 Emperor 400's, an Emperor 350, and an Emperor 250. The wheels will slow down, but as long as you keep the posts they spin on clean, the cups they sit in clean, and the spray bars and inlets clean, you won't (shouldn't) have any problems.

2004exrider

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2007
Ohio
ZCciVic22;1428083; said:
I have a tone of the bio-wheel filters. Right now I'm running 2 Emperor 400's, an Emperor 350, and an Emperor 250. The wheels will slow down, but as long as you keep the posts they spin on clean, the cups they sit in clean, and the spray bars and inlets clean, you won't (shouldn't) have any problems.
no spray bars on mine.

ScullCraca

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2007
Denver Colo
Thats crazy I have been running the same Penguin 330 for more the ten years and no problem at all I have to clean it more then a few times but hey what's new? I am looking for another one as we type.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store