>:( Penguin 350 Bio Wheel RIP OFF!!!!!

Westie

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2008
Bay Area CA USA
You can always buy a new wheel to. It'll take a couple weeks for the bio portion to kick in though. I like the Emporers because of the spray bar. It forces the wheel to spin. That helps in my planted tank because I get algae arround the wheel.(another sure stopper)

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
You still have to clean the Emporers from time to time but they are still a lot better design...especially with super cartrages in place of the stock media pads/baskets. The E400 also has a dual pump set up that increases flow a bit over the penguins. I have over a dozen E500's in servace at any one time.

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Wolf3101;1517986; said:
You still have to clean the Emporers from time to time but they are still a lot better design...especially with super cartrages in place of the stock media pads/baskets. The E400 also has a dual pump set up that increases flow a bit over the penguins. I have over a dozen E500's in servace at any one time.
Is there a model I dunno about? ;)

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
Yep it's a special model produced by Marineland just for advanced hobbiests....it's called the typo edition.....lol

That should have read....E400's of course...not E500's.

blossom

Feeder Fish
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora. Illinois USA
i have biowheel on 3 of my 9 tanks.. the biowheels a great, but loud. They sometimes stop pumping and exit the water when snails get stuck in propeller. make sure to keep snails out of filter if its a biowheel. Another this already suggested is maintainence. alway clean bearings and areas from debris and sludge that forms in our filters. Change the pads (not the wheels) often, I was told to reuse the pads and did for a while, but realized it makes it worse. all the biological is in the wheels anyway. Also, the wheels arent ment to turn all the time. it does stop and pause allowing oxygen and bacteria to get on wheels for more area used. If u go on its website and call customer service they will tell u sane thing. If one wheel is Always stopped. then u have a water level or house level problem (means water in tank not level). these filters need to be in a tank that is leveled. if one side of aqaurium is higher in water level than the other, it will never work properly. I however, like the fluval 405 or the aquaclear 110 much better, Not 1 problem with the 110. its on my 65g. We have the fluval in the 150g. and the other biowheels are on the 29g, 45g, and 20g.

Full Metal Gundam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
Outer Rings 187
ZCciVic22;1428083; said:
I have a tone of the bio-wheel filters. Right now I'm running 2 Emperor 400's, an Emperor 350, and an Emperor 250. The wheels will slow down, but as long as you keep the posts they spin on clean, the cups they sit in clean, and the spray bars and inlets clean, you won't (shouldn't) have any problems.
what's an emporer 350 and 250? I have alot of Penguin filters that are over 10yrs with no problems as long as you perform the usual maintenance as with all filters. I really like the Emporers but the cartridges are crap even the aftermarket 1's. you can't rinse and reuse them like the Penguin cartridges.

Aqua Sanctuary

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
The Internet
www.myspace.com
i have seen where they say they kind of bumble around when they get fully loaded with bacteria and whatever.. i dont care i want it to spin normally.. its a paint to cleam of the bio wheel after a while you basicaly destroy it trying to clean them.

elevatethis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
Penguins and Emps might get the job done but its a shame that they couldn't share the same quality, reliability, and workmanship that other brands do...

Here's my answer to a penguin or emperor:

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
only problem i have is with the impellers failing, but you can get those replaced. how much did you pay for yours? you can get them at Petsmart for $27, which is the best value i can find for any hob filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store