Pet indian mongoose

Cichlid king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Caribbean
I'm referring to the small, 1 1/2 lb indian mongoose - herpestes javanicus. I was introduced into my country in the 19 th century and has since then spread. I've heard they're made pets in places like Hawaii. I've seen some around, and I was wondering if they do indeed make good pets.

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
Vicious_Fish;4741793; said:
Judging by that photo I'd say they'd go straight for the jugular!
this^

but that's just the photo. i too have heard that they can be tamed, and when they are they make good pets. i'm no expert though

Sylvias

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2010
Somewhere
I believe they can be tamed right down, I recall hearing something about people in india keeping them as pets to keep snakes away but I can't remember where thats from so it could be anything from a movie to a dream lol

Cichlid king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Caribbean
I think a woman who lives 10 miles from my home has one, but I've never seen it. I just need reassurance on whether or not they can make good pets. If polecats (ferrets) can be pets, then why can't these?

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Cichlid king;4741861; said:
If polecats (ferrets) can be pets, then why can't these?

The thing is ferrets have been domesticated, mongooses have not. It's still a wild animal. It's like comparing a wolf with a German Shepherd. They look similar but they're not.

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
jeff corwin has one he would pet it and it would nibble his toes it acted like a kitten

Cichlid king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Caribbean
Vicious_Fish;4741888; said:
The thing is ferrets have been domesticated, mongooses have not. It's still a wild animal. It's like comparing a wolf with a German Shepherd. They look similar but they're not.

I guess you're right. But those imported to my country were originally tamed, and kept as rat and snake catchers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store