Photo Journal of a used 240.

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
I'm picking up a used 240 Gallon tank today.
I will not immediately set this up. As money comes available I will build a stand, sump, overflow, denitrifier, and possibly a few other things.

I already have a huge pot I nabbed out of the recycling bin at work. It was used for pressurized sterilization. It will take minimal work to create my denitrifier. This pot will probably hold 3 gallons of bio media. So it should be plenty big to handle the 240.

I am playing with the idea of turning a current 75G into the sump. However, I will probably end up doing something different, because I like that setup.

I will add a UV to this system as well. I just won't be building that part.

I currently have a 125G full of Cichlids (doing very well) and a 75G FW Community doing well. I have not decided what will go in this tank yet.

This project might tank me several months.

First Shelled Spot:

Second Shelled Spot

It took 6 people to get this on the truck.. This is as far as my wife and I could get it off. I'll pick up the stand today, and have help moving this to the stand tomorrow.

Calculated the weight of this thing full.

Results computed by FishTank Online September 3, 2008, 12:26 pm EDT
http://boonedocks.net/fishtank

Water Type..............................Freshwater
Material................................Glass
Tank Overhead Shape.....................Rectangular
Length..................................72.00 in.
Width...................................30.00 in.
Height..................................25.00 in.
Wall-thickness..........................0.50 in.
Volume..................................233.77 gal (US)
Tank Material Weight....................348.16 lbf
Water Volume............................218.85 gal (US)
Water Weight............................1821.11 lbf
Substrate Type..........................Sand
Average Substrate Depth.................2.50 in.
Substrate Weight........................287.59 lbf
Approximate Total Weight................2456.86 lbf
Room Air Temperature....................68.00 °F
Water Temperature.......................80.00 °F
Heating Capability Required.............269.93 W
Approx. Total Fish Length...............180.00 in.
Mass Required for 1 PPM.................826.04 mg
1.25 TONS! Whoa.
I'm building the stand myself... This is also going on a deck not a slab. I wonder how that will go.

At least I have the current stand. The one I build will be a lot better then it, so I'm not worried about that.

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
It held water three weeks before I bought it.
I just plan to put some silicone in the lower chip. The top chip will be hidden by an overflow. If anyone has ideas, I'm totally open.

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
The tank has been full of water for over a week now!!!
Not a single leak.

It's draining today. I expect it to be empty when I get home. I'll probably let it sit for a few days empty before I get in there with a shop vac and clean it up. I'll then pile silicone in the areas picture above.

Some thin plexi glass was given to me in 1'6" sqaures. I might cut some pieces out of those that will cover the two crescents. I'll fill the crescents with silicone and plop this on top. That should keep things from getting worse. Won't be the prettiest.. but one should be hidden by the overflow, and the other by the substrate.

I've started work on my denitrifier. I picked up 150' of tubing from Lowe's. It only cost me $15. I'll try to get some pictures up later this week if anyone is interested.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Of course we're interested! Photos really help to describe projects so keep us in mind.

oregonian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2007
portland, oregon
:popcorn:nice. keep the updates comin. if you don't mind me askin how much did you pay for it.

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
1.25 tons and it has a crack at the bottom, not sure how I'd feel about that if it was me. As for the deck idea, I would pour a large concrete base and deck around that so it 'looks like' it was sat on a deck. 1.25 is a lot of weight for wood.

Subscribed, good luck

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
Everyone online thinks they know how much wood can hold up. Most of the people are wrong. Take a look at the big tank stands.. They look like they would fail, but never do. I'll build a stand strong enough to park a car on (if it were a tiny car that weight the same as a big car). So I'm not worried about the stand or the deck I am putting this on.

I might be a little worried about that shell. But hey.. if it fails after I have fish in it. I'll have an excuse to get a brand new one!!

I'm building a Coil Denitrator.
Sources: http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/blank/bldondiydenitratornew.htm

The coil was bought at Lowe's. It's 150' of tubing. It cost $15.
The pressure pot was taken from a recycling bin at work. (Work pays to haul the stuff off, so anything in it is free game.)

This is not finished.

I am in negotiations with someone for a 4ft skimmer, and a 55G sump. If all goes well I will have these tomorrow. Here is a picture of the skimmer from the add I responded to:

I doubt I am going Salt Water, but the price for this and the 55G sump is good enough for me just to get the sump. I'll set this thing in the garage or attic and maybe use it one day. It does not come with the pumps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store