Photo Journal of a used 240.

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
This was the test sump. I used it to try out the weld-on 4. One of the two patches leaked after the first try. It was the lower patch which I applied 2nd and couldn't get a good clamp on it.

With the first patch working fine, I was able to put the sump on it's side and clamp the second patch better. Reapplied the weld on, and it held water like this all night. :)

The L piece of plumbing in the sump was just removed from the outtake. I should have taken it out before pictures.. But o-well.

The first patch I applied.

The Second patch I applied. This is the one I had to redo.

The blue lines mark the current water level. I used a carpentry crayon to mark this. Comes off with a wet wash cloth. :)

For those just tuning it. This is my test sump. This will not be used on the 240. It will probably get used on the 125. The round spots on the two patches are from the very first fix I attempted. I used silicone to hold the patches onto the inside of the sump. They were water tight, but I was able to poke them through the hole, and they just popped off. I would not use silicone again.

This is also why the patches are on the outside. Because I couldn't clean all of the silicone off the inside of the sump. So I just moved the patches to the outside, and used the side of the patches that didn't have silicone on them.

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
I quickly cut a piece of plywood to set the sump on for the stand.
I cut it a little small, so I wouldn't have to cut it more than once :)
This will be hidden when the stand is finished.. So I really wasn't to worried about making it perfect.

I also replaced all the load bearing screws with real deck screws instead of drywall screws. The new screws can actually hold some weight, and are rust resilient.

I took my time and drew the lines to match my earlier drawing.. I actually used a square to make these lines. So now I can use them as a guide for installing my acrylic panels. The vertical line in the center is not drawn by me. It was where a divider use to exist in the sump. Though I will be placing a divider in the bio ball chamber. I will explain the reasoning behind that later.

Now that my lines are drawn I took a measurement of the depth of my tank (front to back). I cut a board to these measurements to see how it would fit. It fit.. though it appears the front and back of the tank has bowed at least 1/4". So I will use silicone to feel the gaps when I place the acrylic in here.

I cut up some of the pvc blocks I mentioned earlier in the thread to use as guides for the acrylic. My acrylic is not that thick, so these will help it stay square. They will also be used to hold up shelves in the sump.

I have placed one in this picture. I don't have much force on the clamp.. Just enough to make sure the pvc sits flat while the silicone dries.

Here I have two of the pvc pieces in.

And this is where my project sits for the night :)
Thanks to the wife for letting me use her parking space tonight.

Guapote

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
Slam Gabriel Valley, SoCal
Keep the pictures coming; great job so far.

I've always wanted to journal the progress of one of my projects but I can never slow down enough snap pics.

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
I have traded this tank and stand for a riding Lawn Mower.

I still have all my drift wood, pumps, and 55G sump. I will renew this project with a brand new 240G tank probably this time next year. Sorry for those of you that wanted to see this completed.

I traded it to my dad, so I will still get pictures for you of this tank up and running.
It will probably just have an FX5 on it though.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
LOL....man its ok...I been there. I had a custom 280 I was going to make a reef tank for my 110 I had. It sat dry for over 3 years with a long thread on reefcentral. I never set it up and have just sold the last part from it that I wanted to sell. This was from like 04...thats why I never started a thread for my 240...not untill its up and running this time lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store