Photo Journal of a used 240.

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
Frame the bottom of the stand. This is a picture of the top and bottom.

Started work on the 4 corner post. I don't have a table saw. So this is a little difficult. Not to mention the blade on my skill saw is so dull it starts smoking less then an inch into the cut.

I have a smaller skill saw with a brand new blade, but I needed the depth.
I probably would have finished these if the blade was in better shape. Now I have to wait until tomorrow to pick up a new blade from Lowe's. That is... If the wife will let me.

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
This morning I picked up new saw blades and some nourishment. I brought my wife some milk and 3 donuts while she was in bed. When you keep as many fish as most of us do. Things like this really help. ;)

I finished cutting up the 4"x4"s in record time. :) Wish I bought the saw blades last night. I've put the stand together and test fit it in it's final location. This was to see how level it was etc.

The stand is not completed. I will be adding some vertical 2"x6"s.

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Verbosity;2248522; said:
This morning I picked up new saw blades and some nourishment. I brought my wife some milk and 3 donuts while she was in bed. When you keep as many fish as most of us do. Things like this really help. ;)

I finished cutting up the 4"x4"s in record time. :) Wish I bought the saw blades last night. I've put the stand together and test fit it in it's final location. This was to see how level it was etc.

The stand is not completed. I will be adding some vertical 2"x6"s.
Now then, where did you find the DeWalt branded donuts:ROFL:
Looking good:)

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
Awesome project looking really great! Good luck on completing it. Keep us updated.

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
Does the Sump fit?

If I only add one support in the middle, will I be able to get the sump out if it needs replacing?

Yes. It looks like I will be able too!!

Time to fill up the sump and make sure it doesn't leak before I start working on it.

I added in the middle braces for the stand.

I had to use two shims on the entire back of this stand to get it level.
This is not because my craftmenship sucks. It's because who ever built this porch sucks. (It might have been built originally at a slight angle to shed water better.)
I actually have these three sets of shims raising the stand a little higher then level. I figure they will give some when the tank is on it, and full of water.

I also added shims in some of my corners to make it level from side to side. The screws should hold the weight, the shims are just there incase the screws get tired.

The stand now just needs a plywood floor for the 55G sump to sit on. I'll hopefully pick this up after I get paid.

Looks like the 55G Sump is going to hold water just fine.

I'll let it sit for about a week before I start working on it.

Since most of the wood work is done, I decided to give my wife back her side of the garage. Things like this are really important when you keep a lot of fish.
I also made a deal with her that if she couldn't park in the garage for more then a week she could demand a kiss o_O any time she wanted and I would have to stop what I was doing and comply. This made her happy. I only went one day over. That entire day she never got a chance to ask for a kiss because I couldn't resist her. Man, I love this woman!!

Anyway, after I cleaned her side of the garage back out, I hung a few more things on my workbench and wrapped it up for the weekend.

rickyricardo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2008
new england
Verbosity;2246272; said:
Frame the bottom of the stand. This is a picture of the top and bottom.

Started work on the 4 corner post. I don't have a table saw. So this is a little difficult. Not to mention the blade on my skill saw is so dull it starts smoking less then an inch into the cut.

I have a smaller skill saw with a brand new blade, but I needed the depth.
I probably would have finished these if the blade was in better shape. Now I have to wait until tomorrow to pick up a new blade from Lowe's. That is... If the wife will let me.
Can you explain how you make those cuts in the 4x4's.

Verbosity

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
Savannah
rickyricardo;2252861; said:
Can you explain how you make those cuts in the 4x4's.
This question makes me really wish I took a lot more pictures.
I actually cut all 4 pieces at once. This was a time saver.

My first step was to to make all 4 pieces one with some large clamps.

I then laid them down on my workbench and fastened them with more clamps to make sure they wouldn't move.

I picked up a 2x4 and used it to make the approximate measurement. While the 2x4 was handy I used it to set the depth on my skill saw.

Now that I have a line and the correct depth I moved my 2x4 to become my straight edge to guide the saw. For my saw it's 3/4's extra distance from where you want to cut.

I use clamps to lock the 2x4 in place and double check all my measurements.

I then cut the 4x4's all the way across.

That's one cut.

Now I unclamp everything. I make sure to turn all the 4x4's 90 degrees in the same direction.

I use the same set up for the first cut that I do for this. I make the second cut. I now have two sides cut. I need to cut the top now.

Leaving the 4x4's clamped together I pick them up and stand them up next to my work bench. They are way to short, so I had to put a box under them to raise the tops of the boards above the workbench standing straight up.

I clamp the 4x4's to the work bench side. I draw my line. I set the skill saw depth to it's maximum. (Which isn't enough.) And free hand this cut across all of the 4x4's.

I unclamp everything, rotate 90 degrees, and reclamp. I draw my line and make the second cut across the top (4 cuts total).

I now essentially have all my cuts required. However the vertical cuts are not deep enough. So I unclamp all the 4x4's and work them on an individually. I use a hand saw and a chisel to finish the cut. I could have used a reciprocating saw, however I wanted a clean straight cut. If you have a decent hand saw these cuts will not take much extra time.

Sorry I don't have pictures. They would help tremendously in this discussion.

If you have a table saw these become even easier. I don't have a table saw that fits in my garage. YET. I have a very nice table saw that takes up to much room to put in my garage. It's currently stored in a barn at my aunts property. (2 hours away.)

Hope this helps, it's really hard to describe how I did it without pictures for your reference.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store