Please help identify

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
It could be an amphilophis, but something about the mouth doesn't look quite right to me. Looks like a tilapia of some kind. Could be a hybrid, or it could be a barred amphilophus. Sorry I don't have a better answer, but it's certainly not a Frontsa.

troublesum

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY
Its not a Front, for sure without the small back story and a quick glance i would say like the others its in the Amp family barred Midas or Hogga. but the OP said it came from a African shipment which makes me think some sort of Tilapia but as of then out of my pay grade

Reactions: LAQGUY

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Reactions: LAQGUY

LAQGUY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2024
Its not a Front, for sure without the small back story and a quick glance i would say like the others its in the Amp family barred Midas or Hogga. but the OP said it came from a African shipment which makes me think some sort of Tilapia but as of then out of my pay grade
What also has me at a loss for words is the bold attitude, he is in with my red eared slider and is quite stoic along side the turtle. He behaves like a central or Sothern American cichlid for sure.

Caperguy99

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
On first glance, looks like it could be Amphilophus Amarillo or Amphilophus hogaboomorum. In the latter case, it seems to match this description:

“Seven dark transverse bands, the first of which curves over the forehead (therefore also called a harlequin cichlid), and the last on the caudal peduncle, just before an extra spot, the caudal peduncle, which is not counted as a transverse band.”

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store