Plywood tank 800 gallon, choice of glass not so simple

Zazikato

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2023
SGP is a structural laminate.
It sounds like your confusing tear strength (adhesion) with rigidity (hardness). You can manufacture triple and quadruple layer laminate as well.

I've built glass tanks to 3m deep and know of some glass tanks 5m deep but you should be consulting a structural engineer with real world experience (as I do) for tanks 2m or more depth. There is a reason why your not able to find this information freely available on the internet and I would not be trusting information offered on an amateur aquarium forum including this post. The 3.8 safety factor you mention for example is a joke for larger tanks.
Alright got it so it is indeed possible thank you very much, I will be consulting engineer as my plan build is roughly 2.1m deep just dont want to do it with acrylic, would rather go shallow if have to go acrylic route.

Zazikato

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2023
SGP is a structural laminate.
It sounds like your confusing tear strength (adhesion) with rigidity (hardness). You can manufacture triple and quadruple layer laminate as well.

I've built glass tanks to 3m deep and know of some glass tanks 5m deep but you should be consulting a structural engineer with real world experience (as I do) for tanks 2m or more depth. There is a reason why your not able to find this information freely available on the internet and I would not be trusting information offered on an amateur aquarium forum including this post. The 3.8 safety factor you mention for example is a joke for larger tanks.
One more question would you consider anything other than laminated tempered? i mean taking into consideration of tempered glass con 1. randomly exploding (very very rare chance) 2. distortion due heat rolling
As going heat strengthened route would require the panel to be much much thicker or mixing between heat strengthened, annealed and tempered?

fishdance

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
The tank design (as a whole) will strengthen the aquarium. Your looking at indivual glass pieces. A steel frame or cross braces - depending on your concept for example may be suggested by the engineer.

I didn't want any cross beams so I beefed up the rectangular steel sizes/thickness and rotated my top beams sideways to reduce bowing but flush exterior - so protruding into the tanks (8m tank, 10m tank lengths). This reduces fish jumpers and also protects the top edge of glass.

Your engineer if experienced will have some practical ideas to reduce cost or simplify build. I self built to reduce costs and improve knowledge.

fishdance

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Why dont you discuss your needs with your engineer. He/she will recommend the best outcome if they clearly understand what your after.

I self import my glass from China so I'm able to request any glass recipe - configuration I want. I prefer low iron glass. Safety is extremely high as one of my tanks is 100 tonne water inside the house. Usually I double the minimum requirement my engineer provides (and he would be doubling his safety margin as well) as he has to certify the design.

I keep a lot of fish and I've personally seen a lot of tank failures and some nasty accidents.

Jon_DK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2017
It's been a while since my last post. I found a company in Denmark that can supply the front glass I need:

• Low iron
  • Tempered
  • SGP laminate (SentryGlass) 1.52mm each
  • 10+10+10 mm
  • 205 x 103 cm
Initially, I struggled to find anyone offering interlayers other than PVB.

The quote I received is 21,000 DKK, which is about 3,000 USD. This price includes shipment from Germany to Denmark (approximately 30-40% of the total cost).

However, the quote mentions that "ghosting" or a "haze effect" is common and something I have to accept. I have never seen this flaw in tempered glass before. When I called the company, they said this issue is frequent and I would notice it easily. This is a significant amount of money to spend if the glass is not perfectly transparent. Now I wonder if the company has not properly adjusted and controlled their process.

According to my research on the "haze effect," these white or foggy areas typically result from issues before the actual tempering process, such as glass dust from edge polishing or washing with dirty water. Very small glass dust particles and/or micro scratches on the surface can cause this hazing. For that price, I believe they should guarantee the quality. When I asked for their suggestion, they recommended normal low iron non-tempered glass.

For those of you who use tempered glass, did you receive any warnings about this in your quotes before purchasing? Have you ever seen a sheet of tempered glass with these artifacts?

My only alternative, as I see it, is to consider normal glass in a laminate construction. However, I would need to use much thicker glass, and the weight would become very uncomfortable.

Best regards,
Jon

Fish rescue

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2023
Thick Acrylic is way stronger and clear and light 200lb vs 500lb.....just a thought..lol

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
However, the quote mentions that "ghosting" or a "haze effect" is common and something I have to accept. I have never seen this flaw in tempered glass before. When I called the company, they said this issue is frequent and I would notice it easily. This is a significant amount of money to spend if the glass is not perfectly transparent. Now I wonder if the company has not properly adjusted and controlled their process.
The factory where I got my tempered glass had no concerns about it being used for an aquarium. In fact, the owner is an aquarist himself.

Considering tempered glass is most often used as large windows and display windows, I would have thought that any haze would be unacceptable.

Reactions: Fish rescue

fishdance

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
If your happy to import, that will widen your choices significantly. This pond supplier in UK ships to Netherlands for example. They make stainless frames too. https://www.atlanticagardens.com/koipondwindow

However I'm sure there are many others, possibly closer. If you find a glass manufacturer (not a reseller), you should be able to specify your glass recipe. Tuffx in UK is often recommended on UK fish forums. ( I've not used them)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store