Polleni Personality?

lostnight

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2006
Dayton, Ohio, USA
Wow, 2 other people keep their polleni with an orange pike. When I got my Xingu he was much smaller than the Polleni and was chased by him. Recently though, the Xingu has just about caught up in body length, and has turned the tables on the Polleni. Now, whenever the Polleni ventures out of his cave, the Xingu savagely attacks him, not just chasing, real biting. This has me concered. I'm not wanting to get rid of either fish, but I should move one of them to a different tank if I could figure out a suitable arrangement.

slowef

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2008
Destin, FL
www.myspace.com
My Polleni is a firecracker. I love it to death, eats from my hand... its awesome and i love it. I cant keep it with anything else i own because he/she will kill it or beat it up. It means business. ;)

Sorry for the blurry pictures.

Poll2.JPG

Poll1.JPG

Alistriwen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I have 6 smaller polleni in with 6 blue dolphins. So far so good. The polleni are very friendly, they always swim up to greet me when I come by.

wannaarro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
My polleni beat the crap out of my Oscar, who ended up dying, but does fine with a lone Taiwan Reef male peacock and female JD. Oh, and a rainbow shark.

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
My new polleni get alongs fine with 3 datnoid, 1 silver dollar, 1 catfish, 1 pike cichlid and 1 tat...

It show no aggression and leave everybody alone ^^

misplacedsooner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2007
usa
well, i had no issues with my xingu pike but he was packing on size and i moved him in with some loiselli, freddies and midas in a bigger tank and added a female pollini and some guntheri to the mix with my male. so far the male has the female scared but is doing no damage. hopefully they pair up soon.
mike

wannaarro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
P. polleni tend to be more conspecifically aggressive (species and similar in appearance). I'm finding them to be rather individualistic in who they get along with. I'm considering an experiment to put mine in with the pair of Red Bay Snooks and 15" Clown Knife in the 125. Lots of observation, when you put them in with what size in comparison to them, as well as temperament (can the other fish hold its own or just chill on the aggression), etc.

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
ive seen our polleni chase and harras but never actually to death. he has his 1 or 2 enemies and leaves everyone else alone. Hes always the first fish right up to the tank if u even just slightly raise ur hand up over the tank lots of personality. during dinner all i see is an eyeball looking at me.

famous323

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2008
LONG BEACH, CA
slowef;2081340; said:
My Polleni is a firecracker. I love it to death, eats from my hand... its awesome and i love it. I cant keep it with anything else i own because he/she will kill it or beat it up. It means business. ;)

Sorry for the blurry pictures.

damn hes nice

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
polleni seem to be very versatile in what kind of cichlid tankmates they can be mixed with...I've seen them in hap/peacock tanks, but also with Neotropicals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store