Polleni Personality?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
famous323;2395614; said:
slowef;2081340; said:
My Polleni is a firecracker. I love it to death, eats from my hand... its awesome and i love it. I cant keep it with anything else i own because he/she will kill it or beat it up. It means business. ;)

Sorry for the blurry pictures.
damn hes nice

That would be "damn she's nice":)

That polleni looks to be female.

bjorneo

Feeder Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Los Gatos CA
I have a 10" male in a tank with some other large fish. He pushes them with his mouth but I am not seeing any damage at all. In another tank I have a bunch of semi juveniles-lots of bad alpha fish behaviour there.
I have 2 other breeding pairs in separate tanks and no problems at all.
If your tanks are big it is an interesting fish to keep as a specimen with other big fish. Although they have a big mouth it is quite soft. My 10" Pollenii has bitten me but no problems at all-not like my Oscars-those guys have got real teeth and have drawn blood on occasion when I have been rearranging tanks.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
bjorneo;2483403; said:
I have a 10" male in a tank with some other large fish. He pushes them with his mouth but I am not seeing any damage at all. In another tank I have a bunch of semi juveniles-lots of bad alpha fish behaviour there.
I have 2 other breeding pairs in separate tanks and no problems at all.
If your tanks are big it is an interesting fish to keep as a specimen with other big fish. Although they have a big mouth it is quite soft. My 10" Pollenii has bitten me but no problems at all-not like my Oscars-those guys have got real teeth and have drawn blood on occasion when I have been rearranging tanks.
my polleni dominates its tank, but only goes this far too...not much in terms of damaged fins, etc. on tankmates.

STONEDFISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I have one in with CA/SA Cichlids. A Texas Cichlid, a Gold Severum and a Geophagus. No issues yet, but they are still small. They will move to my 240 once they get big enough. That tank has more CA/SA Cichlids, plus a Datnoid and 7 Polypterus.

angelmouse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2007
uk
Mine has lived happily with malawis and peacocks and is now in with other madagascans and e.canarensis. he tried to swallow a young xingu pike i had in there, luckily i was in the room so banged on the glass and he spat him out, but he has never tryed to swallow a headstander who is the same size or never touched the smaller malawi, strange.
regards Angel

izzybuzy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
gosport,england
i had my polleni in a 60g tank with a blue lobster, there was no problems really until the lobster got to about 6 inches the same size as the polleni then 1 night when the lobster shed and the polleni bit the lobsters head off but left the rest and did not even try to eat it in fact it stayed right at the other end of the tank until i took the carcase out of the tank.i love my polleni but the lobster was the wifes and she thinks it would look better in batter with a few chips on the side .

dayglowfroggy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
derby uk
My Male polleni who is around 10" bosses my endli birchir around 13" and chunky as well as anything else except for eels and rope fish as these don't bother him.
He nearly killed my female she lost 40% of her fins in around 4 hours that I was out the house.
My female jumps up out of the water for mealworm pupa .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store