Progress pictures from the day I got him till now

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
The amount of work to clean a cannister vs an AC110 is night and day different.

The AC takes about 5min start to finish to do it's maintenance. Is super easy to boot. Vs a cannister.

Cannister: First have to disconnect the hoses. Move it out, get the top off. Clean it all, get it back together, and pray the seals hold. Move it back in place, reconnect the hoses.
AC110: get a bucket, put 5gal of tank water in it. Rinse bio-rings put in tank, rinse sponge put back in filter, put rings back, done

Both my 125s have 2 filters so each week a filter gets cleaned. Next week the other, following week back to the first etc. Over a couple years years all the work to clean a cann adds up.
I didn't think about cleaning at all. My first canister filter.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Right, I was the same way 2 years ago when I got them. Hindsight is 20/20 right.

They are a good filter and do a great job. But the maintenance part has now made me change my mind. Another 13years of water changes for Casper, and 15 for my new GT, that's a lot of filter maintenance.

Reactions: Ruturaj

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Its not so bad especially with 1 fish. I can go like 3 months between can cleanings because as ive said before I pull all but the coarsest foam or internal prefilters and utilize them strictly for bio. If I clean them ahead of the 3 months its a waste of time because they are not dirty.

Reactions: Ruturaj

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Beautiful pearling and trailers, nice square profile, well balanced. Gonna be a stunner when big.
Thank you.

Right, I was the same way 2 years ago when I got them. Hindsight is 20/20 right.

They are a good filter and do a great job. But the maintenance part has now made me change my mind. Another 13 years of water changes for Casper, and 15 for my new GT, that's a lot of filter maintenance.
Wow, your fish lived and are living a long life. I think as Aquatic Aggression Aquatic Aggression said, I would need cleaning every 3 months, so all good there.

Its not so bad especially with 1 fish. I can go like 3 months between can cleanings because as ive said before I pull all but the coarsest foam or internal prefilters and utilize them strictly for bio. If I clean them ahead of the 3 months its a waste of time because they are not dirty.
Yes, that's true. Don't mind doing it once every 3 months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store