Question About Building Glass Aquarium

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Isn't that called a false bottom tank? I think they are more prone to failure, could be wrong I don't know much about it. millerkid519 millerkid519

As for the sides, I think it's more a visual thing but the longer panes do get more pressure exerted on them so maybe not.
Ya that's a false bottom tank I wouldn't use it for anything over a 30g personally.
As far as I know from what I have seen on data sheets the tensile strength is always higher then sheer strength and from taking tanks apart I see how the tensile strength is higher then sheer strength

Rockfella

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2021
Well this is a long never ending debate. How about the front and rear panes on side and the side panes on top? Best of both worlds?
This is not my idea, just a recommendation by a youtuber.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
It depends on the tank and materials for me. For instance right now I'm building a 72x24x16 with a 3/4" bottom and 1/2" sides. I'm going floating bottom because I'll get a lot more adhesion on the thicker bottom slab than if I stacked the sides.

Overall though i tend to build my smaller tanks with stacked sides and larger/longer tanks with floating bottom. I've had better reliability with floating bottom.

Reactions: Matteus and Ruturaj

Rockfella

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2021
It depends on the tank and materials for me. For instance right now I'm building a 72x24x16 with a 3/4" bottom and 1/2" sides. I'm going floating bottom because I'll get a lot more adhesion on the thicker bottom slab than if I stacked the sides.

Overall though i tend to build my smaller tanks with stacked sides and larger/longer tanks with floating bottom. I've had better reliability with floating bottom.
What would you recommend for a 36X24X16 tank using 10 mm glass?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
What would you recommend for a 36X24X16 tank using 10 mm glass?
I recently did a 36x24x18 center overflow tank. I used 12mm sides stacked on a 19mm bottom panel. I cut 12mm glass into 5x8 triangles to brace the corners
20210409_145619_1.jpg
20210409_145658.jpg
20210410_084257.jpg

If you're using 10mm sides at 16" height, I would plan on a full perimeter eurobrace for the top. Try to find the thickest possible glass for the bottom slab, at least 12mm. I would probably do stacked sides for this size build.

Rockfella

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2021
The floating bottom design is actually prone to failure for several reasons.
The most obvious is the weight of all the water in the tank is being held by the silicone on the bottom pane of glass.
A not so obvious reason for failure is the fact that, in addition to the water weight, decor and substrate, any upward force would have an equal stress factor....like when people put styrofoam under their tanks.
Placing the sides of the tank on top of the bottom piece actually gives you more surface area to apply silicone.
Placing the end glass inside the front and rear panels is a matter of opinion and I am of the opinion that strength isn't the reason, moreover, it is the fact that glass is purchased in standard lengths and having to remove an inch from a 36", 48", 60", 72"....etc...is more work. It is also my opinion that the exposed edges of glass is better viewed from the side than the front. Everything that is done to commercial built tanks is done for two reasons mainly:
-Build cost
-Liability
Liability is a risk factor that determines how the manufacturer builds the tank and they go by industry standard and experienced past failures. The point is, if you are building a tank on your own, it would be wise to "copy" the building standards of current manufacturers. ..they have paid their dues most likely and so-to-speak.
I have tried to google what a floating bottom design is and I could not find the answer. Is it when the vertical panes are placed on top or sides of the bottom glass?

Rockfella

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2021
I tried the front and back panes on side and side panes on top (had the glass cut already). I bought a different silicon this time. German made Wacker 121 which is very thick + I had to pinch the nozzle for injection method so it took a lot of effort to squeez the damn thing out. After a forearm workout the silicon gun broke half way. I quickly stripped off the panes. Now I will try the all panes on side method with a easy to work with silicon.

Reactions: Backfromthedead
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store