Question about my oscar

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
About a month after the tank was properly cycled
That would be helpful if I knew when the tank was properly cycled.

If you had the fish less than 2 weeks, I'd guess ich. It sure isn't likely to be sand, although a lot of things are possible. Not all fish react to ich the same way, so flashing, while a good indicator, isn't a definitive test.

If you've had the fish for several months, and have not gotten any new fish or plants in the last few months, I'd lean elsewhere.

Bicherman

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
New Jersey
That would be helpful if I knew when the tank was properly cycled.

If you had the fish less than 2 weeks, I'd guess ich. It sure isn't likely to be sand, although a lot of things are possible. Not all fish react to ich the same way, so flashing, while a good indicator, isn't a definitive test.

If you've had the fish for several months, and have not gotten any new fish or plants in the last few months, I'd lean elsewhere.
The oscar has been in the cycled tank for
About a month.. I recently added an orange shoulder severum and two Pictus cats but they seem perfectly healthy

RajaVino

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 29, 2017
India
May be the white spot. If the climate is so cool in ur area. Most probably be the white spot. It cannot be the sand. Because I too have oscar with white sand. I have not seen that white sand is on my babies

Reactions: MariaS

Bicherman

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
New Jersey
May be the white spot. If the climate is so cool in ur area. Most probably be the white spot. It cannot be the sand. Because I too have oscar with white sand. I have not seen that white sand is on my babies
Very nice looking oscars you have, they all get along well? And that is unfortunate.. any recommended treatments that should work without potential damage to the fish?

RajaVino

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 29, 2017
India

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I'd skip the blue and just turn up the heat and add salt. That doesn't look like sand to me.

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
I agree.. dont use the methylene blue.. it affects your good bacteria in your filter and your tank has not been cycled for long which is even worse
Up temperature to 30deg and dose salt
Usual dose id 1 table spoon for 5 gallons but i have taken it to 2 on a very stubborn case and all fish were ok
Make sure there is plenty aeration

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
And don't add all the salt at once. Some fish will need to acclimate, so spread the salt over a period of 8-12 hours.

Once you reach the required salt level, if you top up the tank (adding fresh water), don't add more salt. But if you do a water change, you will need to replace the lost salt.

Watch for distress...fish staying at the surface, very rapid gill movements, etc. Aeration will handle some of that.

It's impossible so say if the Oscar came with the ich (only one fish in the tank would reduce the outbreak to an extant.) Of course, one or more of the other 3 fish could have brought it.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store