Question about my oscar

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
You will need to continue the treatment for at least two weeks or three if you think that the infection is stubborn. Remember it's the ich you can't see that you're killing and if you stop too soon it will come back.
The good thing is salt treatment is pretty safe and the fish usually do great with it and it works.

Bicherman

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
New Jersey
You will need to continue the treatment for at least two weeks or three if you think that the infection is stubborn. Remember it's the ich you can't see that you're killing and if you stop too soon it will come back.
The good thing is salt treatment is pretty safe and the fish usually do great with it and it works.
Ahh okay, I wasn't sure how long the ich could survive without a host fish. Is it good to do water changes too at this stage?

Bicherman

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
New Jersey
Also now that the ick has fallen off is it good to turn the temperature down now? I've read varying things that having it around 86 can kill the ich which is where I have it.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
You can but remember if you take water out and replace it with fresh you have add salt to replace what you removed.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Came down today and the ich has fallen off Groucho "the oscar" so it's now in the stage where it can be killed.
Well, what you saw fall off were mature parasitic trophonts. You likely have immature trophonts attached to any number of fish that aren't affected by the salt yet. Also, any number may be hidden on the gills.

I would give it at least 10 days from when you started the treatment, although 14 is my preferred choice.

86 alone will not kill every strain of ich. If you're only using heat, I'd recommend 89-90, but as you are using salt, the 86 works fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store