Rank smell

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
I also have my ray tank on a drip and have never smelled it either. My tank is bare bottom with good flow so most the crap ends up going over the overflow to the sump but my sump is open without a cover, I do change filter socks every couple days but it really doesn’t smell. I couldn’t imagine ray keeping without a drip don’t know if it helps with the smell but it does with everything else
What do you feed your rays? How big is the tank and how big are the rays?

Reactions: AR1

Austin1234

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
UT
What do you feed your rays? How big is the tank and how big are the rays?
600gal main tank w 200ish gallons of sump/growout tank stocking is 3 black diamonds year and half old 12” or bigger 1 albino Pearl about 10” and a baby albino black Diamond around 7” in a grow out on same system along with 30 silver dollars so it’s pretty heavy stocked. tilapia, shrimp, walleye and rainbow trout, cichlid gold and Purina Aquamax with vitachem. I feed main tank 2 times a day and baby ray 3-4 times a day.

Reactions: danotaylor and AR1

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
Update: rank smell mitigated!
So I cleaned the sumps out and added filter pads to stage 1. I also purchased the omega one “veggie” rounds, whose primary ingredients are salmon and Atlantic herring, lol. So far only 1 of my 3 rays is taking it, and due to me believing 1 female is pregnant I’m not gonna starve them to try to change their food atm. I have continued to feed northfin carnivore and massivore pellets & raw shrimp.
I also bought some tilapia fillets which all 3 rays took immediately. Seems to be very clean, almost odorless white meat.
TBH just cleaning the sump and adding the filter pad has had the primary effect on removing the smell. Being able to remove, clean and replace the filter pads weekly has had a huge effect in water clarity and odor mitigation.
I appreciate the input of those that chimed in to assist me. Cheers everyone! 🤩🇦🇺

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store