RC clod buster project

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Hot racing makes decent parts, so hopefully they will last you...

I agree that these trucks can be money pits, but eventually you get to a point where you end up only really breaking cheaper parts (such as bearings), so hopefully wont cost you too much once its all dialed in nicely...

But i must say that cage is looking good!!!

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Yeah I'm looking fwd to getting those Hot Racing aluminum tubes and knuckles. From what I have heard/read all the clod guys really like them. I went ahead and ordered a full of "Fast Eddy" 24 bearing set the other day as well, so little by little trying to make it as bullet proof as can be. I'm still up in the air as to if I want to go brushless or not though. Some guys are saying brushless in an MT is just a for sure parts breaker set up so I'm gonna weigh my options hard before deciding on that. Total finished weight on the chassis now (minus the shock & 4-link brackets yet to be made) is 1.59lbs so I'm thinking this should be a decently light MT once done so that might help me to not break as many parts with a brushless set up as some guys do if I do decide to go with that.

Looking at this radio right now https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...HaxY8PeZbT0gm6-SsLwtxt8d_7C8lkFAaAkvUEALw_wcB guy I know uses that one and says its surprisingly nice for a very affordable price. Plus you can get it brand new on ebay for even less than Tower sells it for as well.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I use fast eddie bearings in my P4DE and am very happy with them...

Now as for the brushless vs brushed debate... if you know how to handle an RC reasonably well, have enough open space and have an understanding of how to control an RC truck in the air i would say go brushless...

The fun of brushless power is insane plus theres less to clean motor wise since its all sealed up...

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Starting to get caught up on work stuff so was able to spend a little bit of time working on the clod again late tonight. Sometimes I am just amazed at what other people and just have to wonder what the hell they could have been thinking. I bought the set of axles used so wanted to tear them down and inspect them, clean them up/paint, and upgrade the tubes/shafts/knuckle and such. So I tear the front gear case down and am surprised to see that there is not a single speck of lube anywhere in the case. Gears are dry as can be. If that weren't bad enough I tear down the rear case and I find this.......

Obviously the previous owner didn't know the different between silicon based lube and RTV hi temp silicone gasket maker. I gotta say that was a first for me, never seen that one before lol. Surprisingly the gears themselves looked to be in pretty good shape somehow. So spent some time cleaning the housing, sanding them, priming and painting then, then clear coating and putting them in the drying cabinet to harden up. Also got the new machined aluminum axles/shafts/knuckles fully built and replaced all the bushings with sealed bearings and ready to go onto the cases once they cure up fully.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Coming along quite nicely Steve!!!

Also loving the way it looks so far and can already tell you’ll be having lots of fun with it...

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan

Well one Mapp gas tank and eight oxygen tanks later lol...the tube chassis is DONE. Just finished up adding the shock mounts, cockpit cross bars, and few other braces. JUst sanding it clean now. Hopefully will have some pics of with axles under it sitting on the tires later this evening with a little luck.

Reactions: Fat Homer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store