RC clod buster project

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Yeah, so now instead of only 5min of wheelies, you can now have a full 20-30min+ of wheeling around the neighborhood or track...

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Gonna be a while till this is up and running, but figure I'd start looking now at transmitters just to get an idea of what I will use. Last time I was in it the Airtronics M8 was the Tx of choice so that tells ya how long it has been ;) Got any suggestions for a good Tx these days that is quality but not too overly pricey?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Lol, i have patience...

As for the question...

Castle is the pricey goto option most people like for motor and ESC, although go to a reputable dealer if you go with them as there are a lot of fakes...

The sort of mid range goto brand from a smaller company would be Hobbywing, thats what i currently use in my setup and honestly cant complain...

Then there is also another brand called GoolRC or CoolRC cant remember exactly, but they are supposed to be decent for the price, but as i’ve never run them personally i cant really give you first hand feedback...

Last option would be the scour places like ebay for really local china brand motors and ESC... some i’ve heard are pretty good but honestly cant remember rhe brand names as they can be quite tricky to remember...

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan

Some more progress tonight. Managed to get the front frame struts bent and in, the cab side bars in, and got the lower part of the frame for the 4-link mounts/batt tray in. Most the the main bars are in now. So now it's mostly just adding some cross bracing between the main rails and such left. Then adding the plates for shocks and 4 links and all that good stuff.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Damn, sorry i just realized i totally mis-read your last post and thought uou asked for ESC... for reciever and remotes there are definitelty lots of options...

Futaba is still a relevant brand today with products in the more mid to high end range...

Sanwa is another really good brand with products ranging from low to high end... infact its what i use for my E-Savage...

Otherwise check out this guide for some ideas of what to consider when looking for rx/tx in todays market :)

https://rcgearlab.com/best-rc-car-transmitter/

Btw, i should also mention recievers etc these days are quite a lot smaller than before, so thats always a bonus when needing to find places to hold them somewhere inside the trucks chassis...

And with 2.4gh bandwidth means no more chip sets and its almost impossible, if ever, that you will crash with someone elses signal since its all digitally linked...

Last edited:

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Couple kinda stupid ideas: make a solar power battery charger and switch out batteries.

Add friggin floodlights or even strobes to your c.b

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Couple kinda stupid ideas: make a solar power battery charger and switch out batteries.

Add friggin floodlights or even strobes to your c.b
In guessing that a solar charger would probably take too long to fill a battery on a day out bashing... plus the heat of a battery sitting under the sun for hours isn’t too good an idea as the could explode under the heat...

As for the lights idea... as steve mentioned, they do make some pretty nice light kits these days for RC cars from head and tail lights to mini floodlights for the roof... so that could work if he wanted to go that route...

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Well the parts purchasing just keeps on coming. I hope to do some work on again soon but I know I am down to my last rod of the Saftey Silv45 braze rod and still have a good deal more brazing to do so just ordered another pack of that stuff (there goes another $40). Then since I will be putting the axles under it before too long I really would rather do what I want to do to the axles now rather than take them back out and pull them apart down the road. So I just ordered a full set (2 pair) of the Hot Racing all aluminum tubes. And of course with those you have to run their knuckles so I also ordered a full set of the Hot Racing all aluminum knuckles. Now I really don't want to put the crappy bushings into those parts after spending the cash on them so now I'm looking at full bearing sets right now.

You know, I'm starting to remember why I got out of Clods back 15 years ago lol

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
After a long day of work to pay the bills I managed to get done in time to spend a few more hours working on the clod chassis tonight. Was able to get all the rest of the cross braces cut and brazed in now and then sand the whole thing clean. Next step will be fabing the shock mounts and 4-link mounts and brazing those in place. Shocks should be here tomorrow hopefully.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store