Red Wolf!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Well, final update on my Red Wolf. Yesterday evening I went down to the fishroom, did a bit of feeding and puttering, and noticed the Wolf was back into "hiding mode". No huge surprise, nothing new; I went about my business and then sat down to read. My wife was visiting a friend, so Duke and I made an evening of it. Had a beer, read a few chapters, tinkered with a couple of little projects I've been working on...wasted a couple of hours. Finally got up to leave the room, and only then noticed that the rock that had been holding down the Wolf's tank cover was now in the tank, the cover was a bit askew...yep, a few minutes of frantic searching produced the semi-leathery almost-dry fish, quite dusty and completely motionless, under the tank. I quickly flipped him back into the tank and observed a hint of gill motion, a flicker of life. He had been on the floor, motionless and silent, the entire time I was in the room, and who know's how long before that.

Long story short: there was no activity all night, nor this morning. A weak flutter of gill motion is the only indication of life; I'm astonished that so many hours after being returned to the tank, there was no change for either better or worse. The fish was upside down on the bottom the entire time. I gave up, couldn't bear to watch it clinging to life; I am assuming it wasn't exactly comfortable. I euthanized it this afternoon and my Jelly Cat, who had been sharing the same water system with the Wolf for several months now, had a nice meal.

I was already a bit bummed because of nearly losing a bunch of fish to an unexpected cold snap right after taking them outdoors, and another issue I have detailed elsewhere. This was just the icing on the cake. I don't believe in things that "just happen, nobody to blame". The fish was doing great up until the past few days, when its jumping proclivities appeared out of nowhere. I foolishly did not take sufficient precautions, and so the responsibility is squarely on my shoulders.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
That is hot. Good color with spread out orange scaling, nice teeth and a tall dorsal. Did you find him on line or locally?
He was local, special ordered by a local fish store. He's around 6", I was expecting (and hoping for around 4" so I could watch him grow more). He's still in the hiding and pouting phase, but I'll post some more pics one he comes out.

ken31cay

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
Awesome. I wouldn't mind having one of these if I could find a way to import them successfully.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Well he's doing "good". Repeatedly banging the glass so his face is constantly skinned up. He's in a 75g which is adequate, but trying to find something larger.
Early on I had problems with mine scratching its face up. The damage always healed within a week. I never really noticed much with rubbing against the glass but he would constantly bang into the lid. Floating cover helped to alleviate the issue. I’d say he’s calmed with age and size but at 8-9 inches he’s as ravenous as he was at 3.

Reactions: AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store