Show Us The Different Species of African Rift Lake Cichlids..

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
Red Devil;2506185; said:
what kind is that...front view please... he looks awesome..is that the one that has a face of an arowana...?
Yup, he has that trap door mouth... he is really camera shy, and always turns away.
I just know him as an African butterfly Liz, I'll try to get the Latin name...
Is there more than one species?

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
zennzzo;2506246; said:
OK found it...
Pantodon buchholzi

View attachment 289269

as you can see I'm treating him for "Hemorrhage Septicemia"
with formalin and malachite green and Maracyn Two...
He is beautiful and thanks for the pic addition... he is so unique... now that i have his name i will read about him... does he come from the african reef lakes? i hope he gets better fast.. keep me posted..i just read that they are jumpers and prefer soft water... they are really cool...i watched a video on them too...

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Red Devil;2506264; said:
He is beautiful and thanks for the pic addition... he is so unique... now that i have his name i will read about him... does he come from the african reef lakes? i hope he gets better fast.. keep me posted..i just read that they are jumpers and prefer soft water... they are really cool...i watched a video on them too...
It says they been in the hobby for 90 years :eek: and were rare...I guess. I just noticed them this last year at the LFS...

Freshwater butterflyfish are found in the slightly acidic standing bodies of water in West Africa. They require a year round temperature of 73-86°F. Butterflyfish are found in slow to no current areas with high amounts of surface foliage for cover. They are commonly seen in Lake Chad, the Congo Basin, throughout Lower Niger, Cameroon, Ogooue, and Upper Zambezi. They have also been seen in the Niger Delta, Lower Ogun, and in the Lower Cross River.

Here's something I didn't know till right now...
They have been bred in the home Aquaria. Lowering the water to only a couple of inches in depth for a few weeks and then refilling the tank with fresh soft acidic water and raising the temperature can stimulate spawning. Spawning is preceded by the male chasing the female and actually raising himself on top of her.
The eggs when laid are clear and after about ten hours turn very dark and float to the surface. The butterfly fish spawn over many days so the eggs should be removed with a spoon to a separate tank with identical water conditions. They hatch in about two days and the young are difficult to raise excepting only the smallest of live food.

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
zennzzo;2506397; said:
It says they been in the hobby for 90 years :eek: and were rare...I guess. I just noticed them this last year at the LFS...

Freshwater butterflyfish are found in the slightly acidic standing bodies of water in West Africa. They require a year round temperature of 73-86°F. Butterflyfish are found in slow to no current areas with high amounts of surface foliage for cover. They are commonly seen in Lake Chad, the Congo Basin, throughout Lower Niger, Cameroon, Ogooue, and Upper Zambezi. They have also been seen in the Niger Delta, Lower Ogun, and in the Lower Cross River.

Here's something I didn't know till right now...
They have been bred in the home Aquaria. Lowering the water to only a couple of inches in depth for a few weeks and then refilling the tank with fresh soft acidic water and raising the temperature can stimulate spawning. Spawning is preceded by the male chasing the female and actually raising himself on top of her.
The eggs when laid are clear and after about ten hours turn very dark and float to the surface. The butterfly fish spawn over many days so the eggs should be removed with a spoon to a separate tank with identical water conditions. They hatch in about two days and the young are difficult to raise excepting only the smallest of live food.
wow that is neat... i think they are really cool little guys..how much did yours cost?

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Red Devil;2506483; said:
wow that is neat... i think they are really cool little guys..how much did yours cost?
Like 6.99 or 8.99 is all...:D I've never seen him eat a piece of prawn but I have seen him attack a med Hikari pellet and chomp it down whole!...got to be a big mouthful for him at 1.5"

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
zennzzo;2506489; said:
Like 6.99 or 8.99 is all...:D I've never seen him eat a piece of prawn but I have seen him attack a med Hikari pellet and chomp it down whole!...got to be a big mouthful for him at 1.5"
He is doing great then... you should try and breed them... how can you tell male from female?

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
LOL just when you think you can't find it...
DrFosters and Smith forum said:
To determine the sex of this fish you have to look at the anal fin. The females anal fin is strait. But on the male one of the ray's on the anal fin is much longer than the rest. I hope this helps.
So it looks like to me "HE" is actually a "SHE" acording to the above quote...
Now to find another straight ray'd female and a "one long ray'd" male! :D

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
zennzzo;2506512; said:
LOL just when you think you can't find it...

So it looks like to me "HE" is actually a "SHE" acording to the above quote...
Now to find another straight ray'd female and a "one long ray'd" male! :D
let me know if you get lucky......:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store