Skeletal Creations

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueKiller82

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Massachusetts
Answered my own question reading your other thread.

necrocanis;1680666; said:
Thanks for all the interest and replies to this thread. I'll be taking some more pics for it tonight or tomorrow. Sorry I can't post on here when I am at work for five days or I would answer sooner. The skeletons are definitely not easy to do. I take as much off by hand as possible using medical tweezers, and scalpuls. I use very hot water straight from the faucet to loosen the meat. Works great most of the time. I also take tons of pics while doing all of this so that I can see exactly how everything fit together in real life. After all the flesh is removed I dry the bones for a few days. Then they go into the ammonia for degreasing of the bone. After several weeks of degreasing they go into some peroxide after drying again. They stay in the peroxide for several weeks until they are as white as I like them. I leave some select tendons in tact to keep bones on the spinal column together. The skulls are completly dismantled catalogued by camera, and then I re articulate them by hand. I use elmers wood glue as it seems to soak into the bone, and dries clear but not glossy, as I hate glossy looking bones. They look so fake. I try to position the bones as if the animal were still alive. I have some cool ones to work on like my jau, a planiceps, and some smaller catfish. Looking for any larger species of catfish to work on. I find that doing skeletons eases my urge to get more catfish as it takes several months to do just one skeleton. Please think of me when your beloved pet passes. I promise to do my best to make it a beautiful work of art, and science.

R1_Ridah

In Loving Memory
Apr 4, 2005
WEST COAST
necrocanis;1687488; said:
Not trying to compete with anyone. His artwork is great, but I would like to offer my services so that anyone who wants something cool can get it. Especially if you'd rather get a mount like this rather than getting it taxidermy normally.
Hey Necrocansis..

You interested in a 18-19 Lince Cat and "Tigs?

You can have it for free. However can you do something for me =-)

I'll pm you..

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
blazin_dragon18;1687493; said:
is this one a bichir? or a sneak head? how much is something like that gonna cost me?
marble catfish leiarius longibarbis I'd clean that a skeleton that size for around $100-150

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
R1_Ridah;1688068; said:
Hey Necrocansis..

You interested in a 18-19 Lince Cat and "Tigs?

You can have it for free. However can you do something for me =-)

I'll pm you..
you got pm

Gr8KarmaSF;1687948; said:
Wow, I would love to have a sticky article on the process of how you do your work!
per Li article is on the way. Hoping it can be an on going article that can be added to everytime I do another species. Kinda like an articulation journal.

Supes13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Ohio
i am very impressed, you do some nice work. do you work on native fish as well? keep up the good work

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Supes13;1688385; said:
i am very impressed, you do some nice work. do you work on native fish as well? keep up the good work
Any species of animal so long as it's not endangered or you can produce cites documents. I can do any species, exception is rays and sharks or other cartligeneous skeletons creatures. I can try to do them, but no promises as I am not skilled at it. I'd love to do some natives. I've done channel cats, bullheads, stonecats, madtoms, lmb, crappie, bluegill, green sunfish, gar, ect. Gar make awesome mounts. Ocean going fish are usually the toughest, but most species shouldn't be any problems at all.

to everyone thanks for the tremendous response everyone has given me here. I'd like to say that I am reconsidering my prices for MFK. All prices on the first page are nullified. If you have something you want done, simply pm me or email me at cliffordkinsman@yahoo.com, and courteousy copy me at clifford.kinsman@malmstrom.af.mil in case I am at work. All skeletons will be done on a first come first serve basis, and please allow at least a month to two months for whitening and degreasing so that I can ensure you a museum quality mount.
Thanks
Cliff

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Bump, here are a few more pics so that everyone's not thinking I do just catfish. There's a mahi mahi skull, pacu skull, fire eel skull, niger catfish skull, oscar, and porcupine puffer skulls. The niger was taken out of a freeze dried mount. This is extremely hard to do with any animal, being a fish made this one 10x as hard to do lol. There's also a pumpkinseed that I have preserved the scales on one side only for comparison.

IMG_4884.JPG

IMG_4885.JPG

IMG_4887.JPG

IMG_4888.JPG

IMG_4889.JPG

IMG_4890.JPG

IMG_4891.JPG

IMG_4893.JPG

IMG_4896.JPG

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
Awesome.. some real artists here on MFK..

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store