Status
Not open for further replies.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
thanks. Did you see the pic of the mahi mahi I did?

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Bump.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
wat's up everyone? Feel free to ask questions.

Kobeclone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Kansas
necrocanis;1690851; said:
$35 for skull without plaque, and $45 with. Skeleton $90-$125 same as stated above. I'll send you a more detailed pm tomorrow. I've done a few the first pic on the first page is a channel skull. Sold that one on ebay for $55 little bit larger than your's

Not it's a north american flathead polydictis olivarius

No my method was designed and tested by myself over the last 10 years as beatles were not an option. I clean the skeleton completely by hand down to the bone and remove as much tissue as possible. Sometime tendons are left over, but they come off easier after the degreasing process. Whitening hides the rest. I'd say about %50 of the skeleton is never actually taken apart. I take skulls 100% apart most of the time depending on delicacy. Fish skulls generally have between 50-200 bones in just the skull. The skeleton can have over 500 bones in it.

I hope that non of your fish die, but I can come up with a list of what extras I have availible for sale and some that are waiting to be cleaned. I have about 60 species of fish cleaned right now, with about another 100 species either preserved in alcohol or frozen waiting. I also have about 140 species of other types of animals, and about another 100 species preserved or frozen.

Thanks for the compliments. Hopefully it will be years before you need me lol, same as above though I have others I can do. Maybe you know someone else with one you might want.

Don't kill the gar lol. What kind is it?. I've done both longnose gar and columbian gar skulls before. Want to do a whole skeleton and preserve the scales on half of it to show a half comparison. I've done a whole skeleton of a plecostomus like that before. It's hard and very painstaking, and I didn't make much money off of it considering it was one of the nicest, most grueling mounts I have ever done. I actually lost money on it. It was a 20" pleco and I sold it on ebay, went for less than $50. Considering I raised the fish, cleaned and mounted it meticulously I went in the hole on that one. The skull hobby is kinda like the fish hobby. Most people put in way more money than they will ever see back out of it. The prices I am offering everyone is dirt cheap compared to other places.

Thanks
Cliff

Duh, lol.:grinno:

You don't think a MFK member (me) has looked into this before.:grinno:

You are dirt cheap considering I got quoted $80 for a 20 inch channel cat skull.

Kobeclone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Kansas
Question: Couldn't you just use a scalpal (or how ever it's spelled) for the majority of the work, then soak the entire skeleton is Hydrochloric or Sulfuric acid. Both are fairly cheap as far as chemicals go. This would leave the entire skeleton intact, and it wouldn't need dismantled or reassembled...

Just an idea...

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Kobeclone;1693074; said:
Question: Couldn't you just use a scalpal (or how ever it's spelled) for the majority of the work, then soak the entire skeleton is Hydrochloric or Sulfuric acid. Both are fairly cheap as far as chemicals go. This would leave the entire skeleton intact, and it wouldn't need dismantled or reassembled...

Just an idea...
I do use a scalpul for most of the work, hydrochloric and sulfuric acid would work, but one thing you have to remember is that they both with deteriorate the bone. I have used hydrochloric acid, but it can scar the bone, and also since it has chlorine in it, it breaks down the molecular bonds of the calcium and will cause the skulls and skeletons to flake over time. Bone actually can dissolve quit easily as I have found out in both of the solutions mentioned above. I do not recomend that to any one. There are several methods, flencing, which is what I do, where you remove all of the tissue by hand, masceration, where you soak the skeleton in warm water and let bacteria do the work over several months.(very smelly), and dermestid beetles, which is what most museums do, and is considered the most cost effective, but it a pain in the butt and stinks as well. I can't have anything smelly so I am stuck with flensing the meat off by hand.

ani-mal-lvr;1693151; said:
Necro you are the man!!! Awesome stuff!!

Thanks. Hopefully I will have some customers that can put up some things that I have done for them very soon.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
In the interest of trying to stir up some buisiness I am looking to sweeten the deal for you guys. If you are willing to pay shipping to me, but can't afford to pay for it right now I'll do like traditional taxidermist. I'll hold and work on your specimen until you can pay for it. Weather it's a month, or a year. I'll just hold it till you can pay then ship it back to you. What do you guys think?

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
With the above I can also work out some sort of layaway for you guys also. I really want to make this affordable, and make it work. I know a ton of you guys are interested, and I just want to make it happen. I know you guys will love this lol. I'll put a link to the article that I will be starting shortly.

I also appreciate anything anyone wants to donate, and I'll pay for shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store