snake hasnt eaten in 2-3 months

FormulatedFire

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
Baltimore, Md
i have a ball python that just doesnt seem interested in food anymore......he ate a huge rat that the guy at the petstore said was good for his size...he hasnt eaten since then....he still continues to sh*t and p*ss everwhere.....still active and drinks still do u guys think this is a problem or is he just living off his body fat from the rat????

ps: he even escaped from his tank last week.....found him behind my 50g eyeing up my jd and gt

CentralMayhem

MONSTER FISH EATER
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, California
i say he is fine....never know though. if you knopw your animals well you can usually tell when something is wrong. since you havent had it for long id just keep an eye out and try and feed it smaller prey items more frequently than one large one. hope all works out well

Cyclop3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Quebec, Canada
I know nothing of snakes, but I friend of mine does. She once told me that whenever she fed her snakes with rats, the snakes would not want anything smaller after that (i.e.: would not eat mouses). When I asked why she said the rat is much more rich and bulky, and that snakes don't want the puny mouses anymore after this.

Wonder if this could be it ?

Cyclop3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Quebec, Canada
Well I am sure you guys know more than me, just shooting the idea for you to digest...

walls

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Ball Pythons are notorius for going "off feed". If all of the animals needs are met enclosure wise like temp, humidity, hide box, ect. there are a couple of methods you can try to induce feeding. Try them in this order....

1. Keep the snake COMPLETELY secluded in her cage for two weeks. Cover the cage with a towel so there is nothing "bothering" it. Only check it for fresh water/maintenance. Do NOT handle.
After two weeks introduce a GERBIL. The Gerbil will be a little more expensive but I have seen fussy snakes take them after a couple weeks in complete "solitare" . Then if the snake feeds you can swith back to mice.

2. Try the container method with a dead mouse with its brain exposed.

I personally had a ball python that I had for a few years with no feeding problems and then all of a sudden she went on over a five month hunger strike before feeding again.
Keep in mind that Ball Pythons by nature are shy snakes, it may just be that the snake needs to get "comfortable" in its new surroundings. That is why I suggest you try method 1.

Good Luck!!

ChickenTeeth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2005
Canada
walls said:
Ball Pythons are notorius for going "off feed". If all of the animals needs are met enclosure wise like temp, humidity, hide box, ect. there are a couple of methods you can try to induce feeding. Try them in this order....

1. Keep the snake COMPLETELY secluded in her cage for two weeks. Cover the cage with a towel so there is nothing "bothering" it. Only check it for fresh water/maintenance. Do NOT handle.
After two weeks introduce a GERBIL. The Gerbil will be a little more expensive but I have seen fussy snakes take them after a couple weeks in complete "solitare" . Then if the snake feeds you can swith back to mice.

2. Try the container method with a dead mouse with its brain exposed.

I personally had a ball python that I had for a few years with no feeding problems and then all of a sudden she went on over a five month hunger strike before feeding again.
Keep in mind that Ball Pythons by nature are shy snakes, it may just be that the snake needs to get "comfortable" in its new surroundings. That is why I suggest you try method 1.

Good Luck!!
Brains exposed??? YucK

walls

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
If he had owned the snake for a year I would agree. But since it is a new aquisition he needs to be aware of what is going on. Just stating that reptiles are cold blooded and can go for a long time without eating so dont worry is not the proper response. I am in no way trying to start anything but I just completely disagree with that "philosophy".

IMHO the snake needs to adjust to its new envirement. Like I stated earlier Ball Python's are shy by nature and the new owner should take care to acclimate the snake to its new home properly. If the snake is "nervous" it can starve itself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store