snake hasnt eaten in 2-3 months

CentralMayhem

MONSTER FISH EATER
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, California
it is not a philosophy, it is plain truth. i am not telling him to not try and feed the snake. i am telling him that as long as he keeps trying to feed and has the snake in a comfortable adequate environment there shouldnt be a problem.....of course if the snake doesnt eat within a few months you can force feed it if you wish to take that route. i have had snakes for most of my life and have had them(especially my ball python) fast for as long as 4 months....some may even go up to a year......being that it is a new snake i am assuming that it had already begun feeding at the store he bought it from. if not they shouldnt have sold it.....given time his snake should begin eating. if there are no signs of trouble.....ie mouth rot, respiratory infection, etc...then there shouldnt be a problem with it being anything other than adjusting to its new environment......so i hope i didnt sound rude. this was in no way meant to be interpreted that way. just my 2 cents on the matter, give it time and it SHOULD be fine. whats the term for it hypochondriac, someone who worries too much????

FormulatedFire

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
Baltimore, Md
i've had the snake for prolly around 6-7months and it fed fine 3 mice every week and then the guy a the lps told me to bump it up to a rat which i think was to big well he ate it and hasnt eaten anything since

RARE AFISHINADO

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
its the time of year,, most likely ur house temps dropped slightly.

he will begin feeding again after winter...

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
FormulatedFire said:
i've had the snake for prolly around 6-7months and it fed fine 3 mice every week and then the guy a the lps told me to bump it up to a rat which i think was to big well he ate it and hasnt eaten anything since
I had one particular BP that would eat a medium rat every week. One week it stopped eating. I tried switching it back to mice and it still wouldn't eat. About 3 weeks went by and the snake wouldn't eat. I tried rats and mice, neither would work. Everything I tried to feed him was white. So, I tried to feed him a brown mouse, and he ate it right away. The next week, a brown rat. He accepted it without a fuss. The next week I tried a white rat, and he wouldn't eat it. Needless to say, I tried this test a few times with the same results. The snake refused to eat white rodents (mice or rats) for as long as I had him.

I always try to figure out a patern that I use and change one variable at a time. Hope you get you snake eating soon.

walls

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
I would try a gerbil. Sometimes the most finicky BP's will take em.

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
walls said:
I would try a gerbil. Sometimes the most finicky BP's will take em.
yup

TaratronVaeVictus

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2005
Peoria, AZ, USA
Be careful with a live gerbil; their bites can be as bad as rat bites!

One of my female ball pythons went off feed for a year. A YEAR. I had had her for a year prior to her hunger strike, and I offered everything short of hamsters, rabbits, and guinea pigs, of every color and size. She refused everything. Never lost any weight. The vets found nothing wrong with her. And one day, she took a black mouse. Out of the blue. She's been eating fine ever since, and no clue as to why she went off feed. Her tankmates were the same as before (attempts at solitude with her to get her to eat met with resistance), her tank the same as before...ah well.

One thing I was told to try (and did not work with Ripley, but still) was to take a freshly killed mouse or rat, and dip it in warm chicken gravy. Don't smother it, but enough to get that smell on. That might work; I think Ripley was a special case scenario. Really, a year off of food entirely?

xWhiteyx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2005
Manitoba, Canada
make the cage more humid and if that doesn't work then it's probably totally fine my friend who has like 400 snakes yes 400 told me that balls and kings and even milks are known to stop eating just because they are full, so if it was eating small mice and then a large rat it could still be diegesting it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store