Status
Not open for further replies.

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
Bty, love your auranti Phulltank!

mine is still feeling abit under the weather since it got dethroned by my aro as the top dog in the tank.

PhullTank57

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2005
The Next Level
www.youtube.com
i believe it could have been some impurity w the salt used. Or maybe too much was used. I do realise that the more serious the injury the more careful u shld be in the application of salt. Too much salt can cause the fish to go into a shock and expire.
Agreed, IoStrisciare... i have the same assumption that is what usually happens.

Bty, love your auranti Phulltank!

mine is still feeling abit under the weather since it got dethroned by my aro as the top dog in the tank.
Thanks, bro! :) am sorry to hear about ur aurantic tho... is it okay? eating?

btw, got any pics of ur tank? would love to see... :)

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
PhullTank57 said:
Agreed, IoStrisciare... i have the same assumption that is what usually happens.

Thanks, bro! :) am sorry to hear about ur aurantic tho... is it okay? eating?

btw, got any pics of ur tank? would love to see... :)

its abit "sad" if tts the word for it... :grinyes:

eating chunks of frozen shrimp, though not as much as before.

waiting for aapl76 or Rock to loan me a DC to take more present updates. :D

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Cypress, CA
Interesting. I've had those SH since they were 8 inches and never added salt. In the belief that salt helps relieves stress on "any" fish, I added, not a full dose, but a very small amount. The symptons I first noticed was the body of the fish. The tail end is just floating to the top even though the fish's head is in it's normal placement. The others did not get the same sympton, but noticed a slight irritation, in that, the fish was trying to shake something off it's skin. The other and largest fish, ended up with fungus all over it's body. In my experience, I would not do this again. Better safe than sorry. There may be some snakeheads who has higher tolerance in salt. As far as impurity, this was a used box that I used for my larger Dats tank.

I just won't make the same mistake twice.

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
Vince said:
Interesting. I've had those SH since they were 8 inches and never added salt. In the belief that salt helps relieves stress on "any" fish, I added, not a full dose, but a very small amount. The symptons I first noticed was the body of the fish. The tail end is just floating to the top even though the fish's head is in it's normal placement. The others did not get the same sympton, but noticed a slight irritation, in that, the fish was trying to shake something off it's skin. The other and largest fish, ended up with fungus all over it's body. In my experience, I would not do this again. Better safe than sorry. There may be some snakeheads who has higher tolerance in salt. As far as impurity, this was a used box that I used for my larger Dats tank.

I just won't make the same mistake twice.
just to clarify, salt is somewhat of an disenfectant. So its not technically possible for it to generate the "fungus" your fish had.

what species did you keep? All 4 species i've had had no prob w salt.

If there is an impurity in the salt, your larger dats wld have maybe taken it better or used to it by now.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
Io - I mean um - did Vince use Aquarium salt or table salt? :D

Incidentally IoSrisciare - I recently read a bunch of info saying that table salt is fine to use with fish so long as it doesn't include silica gel or something like that.

Do you think this is untrue?

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
rumblesushi said:
Io - I mean um - did Vince use Aquarium salt or table salt? :D

Incidentally IoSrisciare - I recently read a bunch of info saying that table salt is fine to use with fish so long as it doesn't include silica gel or something like that.

Do you think this is untrue?
When i was a kid and hadn' t the foggiest clue abt the salt thing, i used table salt w my fishes too.

Yes it worked ok, but i did see a shorter livespan and an increase in sickness potential when i did.

Even bettas didnt live long with table salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store