Not open for further replies.

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Cypress, CA
rumblesushi said:
was it aquarium salt?
Yes, it is aquarium salt. I will have to try the rock salt though with my cichlids later just to see if it does the same result as the aquarium salt. I didn't even use that much. But the reason I added salt is because the person who bought them, and returned them back because it was too much for him, told me that in the process of moving, one jumped out of the container and was on the ground for awhile. This is the fish that got the fungus. But the other two, they seemed really stressed out, so I added just about 5 tablespoons on a 4x2x2 quarantine tank. Later that day, one fish was dead, the other has their tail end floating to the surface, and none of them was eating. But the end result was that they are all dead...and I was not happy. The species I was keeping were micropeltes, aka redline or giant SH, which to me are pretty hardy.

sgland

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Singapore
Vince said:
Yes, it is aquarium salt. I will have to try the rock salt though with my cichlids later just to see if it does the same result as the aquarium salt. I didn't even use that much. But the reason I added salt is because the person who bought them, and returned them back because it was too much for him, told me that in the process of moving, one jumped out of the container and was on the ground for awhile. This is the fish that got the fungus. But the other two, they seemed really stressed out, so I added just about 5 tablespoons on a 4x2x2 quarantine tank. Later that day, one fish was dead, the other has their tail end floating to the surface, and none of them was eating. But the end result was that they are all dead...and I was not happy. The species I was keeping were micropeltes, aka redline or giant SH, which to me are pretty hardy.
i say the salt didn't do it. if your sh jumped out and thrashed around a lot they can really suffer fatal internal injuries. I experienced that. They they pretty much bang themselves up. The tail floating part is probably due to losing the slime coating. I once swiped my sh tail to remove some lice or "growth" with filter wool and it remove a lot of it's slime in the process. When i put it back into the water, the tail part was always higher. But it gradually go away.

I used table salt to rid aglae as i no aquarium salt and no problems tat time. Never use now though, got snails to eat the aglae.

MossOnGrass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
I used salt and didnt have any problems , as a matter of fact I used salt quite frequently , but i wont anymore , i love my little guys

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
Vince said:
i'm using rock salt. The fine kind i find are too chemical like.

from what you have described the cause of death seems to have been more of stress related than to the salt.

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
IoStrisciare said:
When i was a kid and hadn' t the foggiest clue abt the salt thing, i used table salt w my fishes too.

Yes it worked ok, but i did see a shorter livespan and an increase in sickness potential when i did.

Even bettas didnt live long with table salt.
Actually table salt is probably the prefered salt to be using, there are usually additives for anti cloging, usually iodine, and iodine in the amounts that are put into an aquarium are more benificial than detrimental. Aquarium salt or instant marine contains many minerals that are not supossed to be in a freshwater aquarium and will affect fish adversely.
There have been numerous articles and research stating the effectiveness of ordinary table salt on disease and disease prevention on freshwater fish.

The only time it is not safe to use certain table salt is when there are an abundance of different chemicals combined with the salt, but this is the exception.

As for using salt on snakeheads I have used table salt repeatedly on sick fish that come in with wounds. The problem is how it is the amount and how it is administered. Most people people just dump it in and let it dissolve in their tank, this is probably the fastest way to give your fish osmotic shock( And kill it), salt should be added over a few days gradually building up the amounts, and must always be dissovled before adding to the tank, b/c adding undissolved salt will also cause fish to die in some instances ,even in small amounts. Amounts should be 1-3 teaspoons per gallon, I prefere 2 teaspoons to be on the safe side. I hope this helps . Cheers

Vince how much salt did you put in and how did you put it in?

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
ashdavid said:
Actually table salt is probably the prefered salt to be using, there are usually additives for anti cloging, usually iodine, and iodine in the amounts that are put into an aquarium are more benificial than detrimental. Aquarium salt or instant marine contains many minerals that are not supossed to be in a freshwater aquarium and will affect fish adversely.
There have been numerous articles and research stating the effectiveness of ordinary table salt on disease and disease prevention on freshwater fish.

The only time it is not safe to use certain table salt is when there are an abundance of different chemicals combined with the salt, but this is the exception.

As for using salt on snakeheads I have used table salt repeatedly on sick fish that come in with wounds. The problem is how it is the amount and how it is administered. Most people people just dump it in and let it dissolve in their tank, this is probably the fastest way to give your fish osmotic shock( And kill it), salt should be added over a few days gradually building up the amounts, and must always be dissovled before adding to the tank, b/c adding undissolved salt will also cause fish to die in some instances ,even in small amounts. Amounts should be 1-3 teaspoons per gallon, I prefere 2 teaspoons to be on the safe side. I hope this helps . Cheers

Vince how much salt did you put in and how did you put it in?
using table salt rather than aquarium alt is frankly BS.

besides iodine there is a higher sodium content and other chemicals that are suitable for US but not your fish.

And iodine can kill a fish thru shock.

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
IoStrisciare said:
using table salt rather than aquarium alt is frankly BS.

besides iodine there is a higher sodium content and other chemicals that are suitable for US but not your fish.

And iodine can kill a fish thru shock.
Marine salt has many minerals in it that will addversly affect your freshwater fish and this is a know fact through out the freshwater fish industry ,aquarium salt is basically table salt without the iodine and anticaking agents but ussually has a lot of unknow and not labbled impurites depending on the method of extraction, NaCL levels can range from 95-99%. On the other hand ordinary iodized table salt has the following ingredients and levels, 0.006-0.01 % potassium iodide (KI), stabilizing agents dextrose and sodium thiosulfate are added at levels of 0.04% or 0.05%, respectively. Anticaking or free-flowing agents are normally held to levels of less than 1 % and these are usually sodium aluminosilicate. All of these levels are of no concern to to fish or plants, but on the contrary iodine is essential for certain plants and animals, and definitely of no concern, considering the low amount of salt and the low concentration of iodine added to the salt. Iodine at this concentration will be beneficial instead. As for the anticaking agents (aluminosilicate) and the stablizing agents, these also in the said amounts are completely benign and has been proven so. So if you add all of the added ingredients in ordinary table salt it will be about 99% or more of NaCL :)

As for the sodium content in salt, saying that the sodium content is greater in table salt is a chemical impossibility, unless sodium in a stable form was added to the salt and it is not as already stated earlier, so this statement is completely false. Just so everyone knows, this is the levels of NaCL in different salts, rock salt typically ranges between 95% and 99% NaCl, and mechanically evaporated salt and solar salt normally exceed 99% NaCl. Evaporated salt made with purified brine has the highest purity, in some cases 99.99% NaCl and it is this salt that is maily used for human consumption or table salt. And just for generaly information the properties of sodium chloride(NaCL) is as follows, 39.337% of sodium chloride consists of Na and the rest as CL which is 60.663%, and anyone who knows chemistry will know this cannot be changed. :)

So I hope I have provided everyone with sufficient information so as to understand that ordinary table salt is actually the prefered salt to use unless you can get 99.99% pure refined salt which will cost you a lot more than table salt ,not to mention that it is harder to come by these days. Good quality aquarium salt is also fine to use, it just usually demands a higher price and can contain some unknown impurities, but IMO and the oppinion of a lot of high profile aquarists, table salt is the prefered salt for freshwater aquariums. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store