wow he is something special.... awesome boy

SteveR

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Scotland
Red Devil;4159961; said:
wow he is something special.... awesome boy
Thanks. He is very chilled out for a fish, relaxing to watch.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
SteveR;4159969; said:
Thanks. He is very chilled out for a fish, relaxing to watch.
And gorgeous too

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
hey

just read through the entire thread, i was thinkin about investing in a loach tank over the last couple of weeks (wanted to do loach and tiger barbs). One question for you, you've had them in that 65 gallon US size this whole time without needing to upgrade? I may have missed a tank change somewhere...?

SteveR

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Scotland
ballinouttacntrol;4161348; said:
hey

just read through the entire thread, i was thinkin about investing in a loach tank over the last couple of weeks (wanted to do loach and tiger barbs). One question for you, you've had them in that 65 gallon US size this whole time without needing to upgrade? I may have missed a tank change somewhere...?
Hey, I've not upgraded yet, the loaches and flag are still in the 65 Gal US. The loaches are such slow growers I'll be okay for a good while yet. I will upgrade when needed, infact have eyes on a 8 foot long tank right now, just waiting on getting the house first as would be a pain in the a*s to move it!

I really recommend a loach tank it's nice to see them in on their own, IMO they grow faster as their is less competition. I see them in tanks with mid water fish stealing all the food, no wonder they don't grow!

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
SteveR;4162111; said:
Hey, I've not upgraded yet, the loaches and flag are still in the 65 Gal US. The loaches are such slow growers I'll be okay for a good while yet. I will upgrade when needed, infact have eyes on a 8 foot long tank right now, just waiting on getting the house first as would be a pain in the a*s to move it!

I really recommend a loach tank it's nice to see them in on their own, IMO they grow faster as their is less competition. I see them in tanks with mid water fish stealing all the food, no wonder they don't grow!

Interesting. I hadn't researched the growth rate but knew they got noticeably bigger then the lil guys you see at the local fish store. Found a 75 on craigslist for 100 bucks yesterday. Might have to pick that up and start up a sweet loach tank.

SteveR

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Scotland
ballinouttacntrol;4162262; said:
Interesting. I hadn't researched the growth rate but knew they got noticeably bigger then the lil guys you see at the local fish store. Found a 75 on craigslist for 100 bucks yesterday. Might have to pick that up and start up a sweet loach tank.
Cool! Let me know if you do as I'd love to see pics of that setup.
Thing about loaches is a huge one is literally priceless. They can get to 15 inches but would probably take about 15 years. Because it takes so long they are valueable fish. I would never sell though...They can live 40-50 years!

They do grow, slightly faster to 6 inches but still way slower than most fish. It certainly helps if you make the tank "theirs" and feed 3x a day small amounts.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
i have 5 loaches that are 4 to 5 inches..so far 4 years... but they are great to own.. i just hate when a big guy suddenly comes down with the skinny disease...after all those years of slow growth and good health.. you watch them shrink and become skinny.. just horrible..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store