The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I was comparing prices on the dry stuff but everything I saw was smaller quantities. Nobody seems to have it in bulk. I saw the Earthworm and Rid Ex, but the packs/containers were relatively small.
I‘ve been using Bio-Clean for a few yrs now, the container I have is 2 pounds. The company is based out of WI, so it shouldn’t be that hard to source online in the US. I got mine from the Canadian distributor. Good luck

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I've been threatening to try this for years, but finally just this morning bit the bullet and ordered the 2-lb size from the Canadian distributor. Believe me, it's a big step for me to buy some mysterious powder, from anybody, and then start spooning it into my fishtanks. I'm planning on treating my sewage system as well. Current Canadian price is 65 bucks for the 2-pounder.

I found similar products now and again on the shelves in places like Home Depot and always shied away from them. One product was labelled as pure, all-natural, etc...and in the same sentence was bragging about its lemon-fresh scent. I was not brimming with confidence.

Fingers crossed for this experiment. :)

Reactions: RD. and AR1

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Should have mentioned, I have also got a package of what seems to be a similarly natural product called Septo-Clean, which is much cheaper; 3 pounds for $27 at Home Hardware. I will start out with Bio-Clean now that RD. RD. has acted as the guinea pig for its safety. :) If I don't immediatelly kill all my fish with that, I would likely gradually phase that out in favour of the cheaper stuff if careful experimentation proves it to be also safe. The hope is to use the stuff long-term for my septic system as well, so I will be going through it a far faster rate than if I were only dosing my fish tanks; a penny saved...:)

If I save the Bio-Clean for fish use, and utilize the Septo-Clean for the septic tank, I'll still be ahead of the game cash-wise. The first dose of the latter was applied to the septic tank this morning; no eruptions or geysers or bubbling or strange creatures trying to escape...at least so far...:)

Last edited:
Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Interesting, one of my earliest experiments going back 20 yrs now I think, was Septo -Bac. The same product that Burbotman Burbotman uses. After viewing Septo-cleans site, and SDS, it sounds similar. You might find it a bit more messy to use in your fish tanks, vs Bio-Clean, it’s along the same lines as Rid-X. Comes packed in a wheat based medium.

Reactions: jjohnwm

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Initial prices found

Rid X
12 month supply (12 pax) 12.6 oz box $54 (1 oz per pack)
10 month supply (2 boxes) 5 months each supply $49.45

Bio Clean
25 lb bulk $288
2 lbs $49.95 - $83.24

wild prices

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store