This news true?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
LOL high quality, dude,nobody around here eats carp except for a few east European immigrants I've seen going giddy over them....if carp really was any good they would be in every fish market instead of cheap ass tilapia and whiting!
Have you seen what some people will pay for ridiculously stupid foods? There once was a king or something along those lines, his people were starving so he tried to hand out potatoes but his people looked down upon them so he planted a royal potato garden and ordered his guards to patrol it making it seem like potatoes were an incredibly cool food. He ordered his guards that if they found someone trying to steal some to let them run away and not catch them or for the very few they caught to let them bribe the guards for a small amount to get away. Because of the kings plans potatoes became popular and his people didn’t go hungry. I don’t have time to look back into it atm but after work I will

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Have you seen what some people will pay for ridiculously stupid foods? There once was a king or something along those lines, his people were starving so he tried to hand out potatoes but his people looked down upon them so he planted a royal potato garden and ordered his guards to patrol it making it seem like potatoes were an incredibly cool food. He ordered his guards that if they found someone trying to steal some to let them run away and not catch them or for the very few they caught to let them bribe the guards for a small amount to get away. Because of the kings plans potatoes became popular and his people didn’t go hungry. I don’t have time to look back into it atm but after work I will
Yes, but Brian, you're overlooking one very important thing here.....potatoes, in all their culinary forms, actually taste good! Hmmm, roast potatoes, yum yum.

Carp tastes like sh*t, whatever you do with it, lol.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yes, but Brian, you're overlooking one very important thing here.....potatoes, in all their culinary forms, actually taste good! Hmmm, roast potatoes, yum yum.

......which is probably why carp is not found in very many fish markets,as plentiful as it is.

Reactions: AR1

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas

What type of carp are you eating? I’ve enjoyed it just about every way I’ve tried it! Big heads and silvers are actually better tasting than grass carp.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
I agree with fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 . The carps can be caught at mass levels and if not sold to restaurants , can at least be given to orphanages, shelters, institutions, etc which will provide food to hundreds of thousands of needy, poor and hungry people.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
What type of carp are you eating? I’ve enjoyed it just about every way I’ve tried it! Big heads and silvers are actually better tasting than grass carp.
I suppose it's personal taste, each to their own and all that. The asian and eastern european community in the UK love carp. Local fisheries were going mad at one point because the eastern Europeans, before they knew any better, used to take high value fish from local club waters and, in some bizarre instances, have lakeside barbecues!

But compared to other fish you can buy at the fishmongers carp are indeed very poor eating imo. A bottom feeding fish by nature and their flesh reflects that.

The monks used to breed them solely for eating and would feed them diets that give their meat a better flavour. Under those circumstances I suppose carp may taste better.

There, I've been a little more diplomatic and given them the benefit of the doubt, lol.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I agree with fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 . The carps can be caught at mass levels and if not sold to restaurants , can at least be given to orphanages, shelters, institutions, etc which will provide food to hundreds of thousands of needy, poor and hungry people.
Hell, give dog food and cat food companies who use a minimum % of it in their products a tax break, I guarantee you they’ll start using it

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I also eat carp, but prefer it smoked.

The Carp they are trying to avoid in the Great Lakes, is a totally different species, the big head, Hypopthalichthys nobillus
The normal species ( Cyprinus carpo) were introduced, and have been in the Great lakes since at least the since the 20s or 30s, maybe longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey and AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store