Tiger Oscars, and convict cichlids

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Just read about it in the forum. Some internet sites OK on this also. Best to do fishless cycle. Get a liquid test kit from API. Takes 6-8 weeks to cycle unless you can use bacteria from an established tank. Then much shorter. Read up. Be carefull and don't rush.
It helps if you read up but no question is a stupid question.

Reactions: Jexnell

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Right now after 3 days the nitrate test is < 5ppm and i am assuming that it has dropped even more since that point

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Wet spot is good. Mine came from Golden Glove. I think AZ Gardens is good and Petzone has very good fish.
Petzone is not too bad but I have only ever heard bad things about AZ Gardens such as sending wrong fish and very unhealthy.

Reactions: RD.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Petzone is not too bad but I have only ever heard bad things about AZ Gardens such as sending wrong fish and very unhealthy.
Good to know. Sales staff were good to me with my questions. Never bought from them. Got Kels and L200 from Petzone. Excellent. Did loose an Oscar from GG.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Sorry the tank was just set up, no previous fish
Ok. Be careful. Doesn't sound like it has cycled. Sometimes people test and think it's ok after a week. No way. Ammonia goes up first (add it or use fish food to start it), then bacteria builds up and ammonia goes down but Nitrites go up. Then another bacteria grows and Nitrites go down. Then nitrates are produced and if the ammonia source is there they will continue to rise.
Do you know about Seachem Prime?

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Ok. Be careful. Doesn't sound like it has cycled. Sometimes people test and think it's ok after a week. No way. Ammonia goes up first (add it or use fish food to start it), then bacteria builds up and ammonia goes down but Nitrites go up. Then another bacteria grows and Nitrites go down. Then nitrates are produced and if the ammonia source is there they will continue to rise.
Do you know about Seachem Prime?
Yes, I actually have prime and have already used it

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
AZ Gardens has one of the worst reputations out there! Below is just one of numerous complaints posted on MFK over the years. Scores & scores of other online complaints if one searches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store