Tiger Oscars, and convict cichlids

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Yes, I actually have prime and have already used it
Good. In case you have an issue with tank cycle it's a good temp measure to prevent disaster. Also a good dechlorinator. Not a substitute for the tank cycle though. Signing off for the night.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
AZ Gardens has one of the worst reputations out there! Below is just one of numerous complaints posted on MFK over the years. Scores & scores of other online complaints if one searches.

Wow. Just read this thread. Had no idea. Sorry I recommended them. Thanks for posting this.

DonnyB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
My opinion: do a single Oscar and make sure to put the tank in an area you will spend a lot of time in. Put it a few feet from where you watch tv or spend your downtime. It’s just a lot of fun. Your basically his tank mate and it will claim it’s teritory as everything in the room it can see. Mine is always trying to get my attention and couldnt possibly ignore me if I even glance at her from 15 feet accross the room. This happens whether hungry or not. No need for another tank mate. But if you must... once big and clumsy and well fed like mine try female convicts. Get two... they will pair up... weird but true. Will need a few hidding spots. A Little activity added and very small added bioload. If your tank is in a room you don’t spend much time in, I would switch to medium sized cichlids, a severum / geo tank would be sweet. I really think a single Oscar would be bored on its own in a tank by itself in a room with infrequent activity. Ever heard those stories about parrots being left alone for a couple days without its owner and pulling all their feathers out from boredom?. Oscars aren’t as smart as parrots but to a lesser extent perhaps... I couldn’t recommend a better intro to American cichlids keeping than a Single Oscar, 5 foot will work for life and you can feel good about yourself for giving him a good home. Keep him healthy with those water changes and you’ll fall in love both with him and the hobby.... and then will come the multi tank syndrome. You’ll be hooked dreaming of Dovii in no time. Welcome.

Reactions: Jexnell

DonnyB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
I would c9nsider adopting an adult. Many are stunted returns so you have to be careful. i’ve also seen some beauties. Only do this if the oscar looks perfect and is exactly what you want. Raising from small has its rewards but their personalities don’t really shine until they get to that 10 inch mark and growth starts to slow. (10-12 months). In good care these fish could be with you for over 15 years. No need to worry about adopting a 3 year old healthy fish. :)

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Would it be ok to keep a circulation pump in the tank? Do Oscars prefer to be in the middle/bottom of the tank?

Also I ended up getting a 7 in oscar that was recently donated to a pet store. He/She (no idea) is very, VERY bashful and is hidding behind everything. I have had him for about 24 hours. He also lays on the ground. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Would it be ok to keep a circulation pump in the tank? Do Oscars prefer to be in the middle/bottom of the tank?

Also I ended up getting a 7 in oscar that was recently donated to a pet store. He/She (no idea) is very, VERY bashful and is hidding behind everything. I have had him for about 24 hours. He also lays on the ground. Is this normal? Should I be worried?
Completely normal, bigger the fish the bigger babys they are when moved about. I have had 12 inch fish that have taken a month to start eating again after a move.

Reactions: Hank82

Kvandy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2018
Roseville, MI

My Oscar prefers the top of the tank because that’s where the food goes in.

DonnyB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
I moved my Oscar from NYC to Maine last fall. 12 hours out of her tank and into a new (and bigger one). After exploring her new home for a couple days the sulking started. It's like she gave up on life. She just turned her back to me and just stared at one corner of a tank for weeks and weeks. She almost let her firemouth tank mate who she lived with her whole life murder her while she was sulking and not eating; It was brutal. The firemouth was removed and she sulked for another 4-6 weeks before finally settling in. Give it time; he's much better off and will come around soon. I'm experiencing something similar with a 5 year old jag at the moment who hasn't eaten in 2 weeks at this point after eating for the first few weeks he was here... time and patience I guess.... put it in perspective of the 10+ years you'll have with him and just be patient. Glad to hear you are giving him a good home.

Reactions: Hank82 and Jexnell

DonnyB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
A 7 inch oscar should not take as long to acclimate. The example above was madness. I did a short move with her a year before and acclimation was just a few days. i'm guessing yours will be acting normal within the week after a short move.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Oscar's and pouting go hand in hand. When ever I messed with Toni's decor she would do this
20180730_002414.jpg
Just give him some time he will come around. Think in his terms, just taken to the store for a day or so right, then moved again to your tank. So ya stressed a bit. Give him see some hides, dim the lights or even off for a week or so to let the guy settle in. Keep the water clean, feed sparingly until you see him come around.

Reactions: DonnyB and Hank82
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store