TODD BUILDS HIS 2500 GALLON CEMENT AQUARIUM FOR STINGRAYS IN THE BASEMENT

Pumpkinate

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
Australia
anythingfish.com;752653; said:
I was worried about my penetrations & wanted to add some expandable wrap to the pipes that expands when wet, but I never did... Basically the guys who laid the cement did such a great job espically with vibrating the cement the has never been any leakage & I dont beleive there ever will be.
Thanks again for the info. This is an excellent thread you have for those building their own concrete tanks. The photos on page 1 are like a "how to" guide! Steve

steigelman89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2007
Pa
i would like to build a tank like this for my red tail catfish to me it is one of the coolest tanks ive seen

norma

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2006
hebbronville,texas 78361
I have 2 red bellies and they are getting really big. I also have oscars. I have a rhyucin gold fish. I love him. And i have lots of algae eaters. I have 4 aquariums all different sizes. I love Them.

norma

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2006
hebbronville,texas 78361
norma;755452;755452 said:
I have 2 red bellies and they are getting really big. I also have oscars. I have a rhyucin gold fish. I love him. And i have lots of algae eaters. I have 4 aquariums all different sizes. I love Them.
What would you suggest for my red bellies? I would really like your help. thanks norma

Pumpkinate

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
Australia
Todd/Ted, one more question regarding concrete tanks (I'll try to make it my last). I noticed you did not appear to have included a drain in the tank. I had provisionally designed a drain low down in one of the walls for water changes/draining. Do you think having another pipe low down in the tank is just another opportunity for leaking? I guess I can always put a submersible pump in if it ever needed emptying. Do you advise having a drain put in during construction or not? Steve

jamespr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2005
johnptc;745615;745615 said:
Thanks to johnptc for his reply wiht this website:
http://cyro.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/cyr...&p_ topview=1

I saved the spreadhseet and it's wonderful -- you just type in the length and height and it tells you the thickness. My initial reaction was to be somewhat surprised that width (front to back dimension of the tank) was not a factor, but I suppose that the deeper (front to back, not height) that the tank is, the weight is distributed evenly out to the longer side walls.

Also, I note that this is for Acrylic. My understandoing is that there are other forms of non-glass polymer sheets, like lucite and plxiglass and such. Are these all prettymuch just the same thing, or are the differences in strength, flexibility, scratch resistence, cost, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any help someone can provide.

rhinoman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
MA
Yes, there's a big difference with certain types of polymers. Lexan is much more expensive but MUCH stronger. One would not need as thick a sheet of lexan. Read "much more expensive". For our purpose acrylic is fine and more.

jamespr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2005
I want to add that this a VERY well-written and photo-documented article. Reading some of the other articles is rewarding because they are doing such a cool thing, but frustrating, because clearly explaining some of these details is very difficult. In reading your article, I feel confident that I could copy what you've done, and I have adopted some of your ideas into my own planning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store