Top 5 least aggressive cichlid

viejafish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
Hi,in the aspect of European aquaristics, it is the most peaceful fish for me Cleithracara maronii .
There are so many peaceful cichlid in SA, so it’s hard to say keyhole is the most peaceful, but is likely in the top five for SA.
Rainbow cichlids are considered to be on the milder end for Centrals. I would say yes and no. They don't fight for fucs sake like Convicts, but they can get nasty if the mood hits. I had one that intimidated a large syno Catfish by popping it on the head relentlessly. The fish eventually worked it out.
There are many nasty cichlid in CA and few, if any, are considered peaceful. Rainbow is on the milder end on CA standard, but above SA. Not all convicts are nasty as there are milder convicts such as HRP, nanoleutus, cutteri, if you include non Amatitlania species.

Reactions: latapy10

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
There are so many peaceful cichlid in SA, so it’s hard to say keyhole is the most peaceful, but is likely in the top five for SA.

There are many nasty cichlid in CA and few, if any, are considered peaceful. Rainbow is on the milder end on CA standard, but above SA. Not all convicts are nasty as there are milder convicts such as HRP, nanoleutus, cutteri, if you include non Amatitlania species.
My hrps have put out "hits" and I've found bodies. usually dumped out front for me to dispose of. Just sayin...🦴🦴🦴

• Haha
Reactions: Jexnell

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Mine is territorial. Guards the plant area. Although not as vigorously now that his mate has been removed.
I currently have two female Blue acara in a 75g attempting to pair up. Two female egg layers can pair up, and a ripe female can lay eggs on her own. In either case, they will guard nests and become aggressive, but milder and only briefly as any eggs laid will not last. I have never observed homosexual pairing of male egg layers, but male mouthbrooders often coerce other males to mate and get aggressive. I have never had female mouthbrooders pair up or lay eggs on their own.

viejafish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
One over looked mild temper CA is Jack Dempsey despite its nasty name. I once had a large male JD that was so whimpy that he was bullied by convict half his size. He wouldnt eat guppies either as he was raised with dry food all his life. Another mild temper CA is Vieja synspillum despite its huge size and beauty. My former synspillum backed off fight from a pair of yellow convict a quarter of its size. I got rid of my Synspillum and JD because they were so skittish that they often hide away when someone approached the tank.

ccichc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
CA I’d say Jack Dempsey and a lot of the amatitlania genus minus convict, rainbow cichlids, fire mouth.

SA is almost all of them minus umbee and festae

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
It really depends on the individual fish, age and environment. Exceptions are everywhere. Plus crowding will bring out the nasty in most any fish (except goldies, but they're weird).

Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It really depends on the individual fish, age and environment. Exceptions are everywhere. Plus crowding will bring out the nasty in most any fish (except goldies, but they're weird).
This this this^^^, thank you FINWIN FINWIN .

I could sort of understand these type of "most aggressive, least aggressive" sort of threads, if there was actually any definitive answers to them! But there never is!

The variables that come into play are many, especially with cichlids. A mild mannered species owned by one keeper, might be an out and out jerk in another owners tank.

These different scenarios that play out in different set ups all around the globe are nothing to do with the fish, but everything to do with the way they are being kept!

In short, their behaviour, good or bad, is on the keeper!

Reactions: AR1 and Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store