Trying a new waterproofing rubber!!

Funky_Fish14

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
nolapete;3692671; said:
I ordered a gallon to test on my 4300 gallon. It should be in next week. It's going to take 15 gallons to do the tank...
Awesome! Looks like a few of us will be putting this stuff to the test then!

FWIW: Im just doing pics/layers right now, no point in starting a thread yet. All the layers went on really good and it appears to be sticking no problem to everything so far, including glass, acrylic, and krylon fusion spraypaint.

Cheers,

Chris

Gearhead

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
In the garage
So how many gallons of this stuff would it take to coat a 8'L x 3'W x 4'T tank?

jay_leask

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2007
canada
my girlfriend works at the homehardware and nobody nows what i am talking about. but thanks ill keep trying.

MFK2009

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2009
Manitoba
I have been ordering Zavlar at local HomeHardware, its not in their catalog or online database, but if they contact their central warehouse, they will have it.
I've ordered 2 gallons and used to experiment with, painted the floor drain in my garage (paint always came off the metal and then it got rusty) First coat I used a foam roller, and other coats I liked a brush better. Did 4 coats, 3 sides were 8ftx1ft, 2-1ftx1ft ends, and 2sides on 8ftx1ft top cover Don't think will have any more rust trouble, this stuff sticks bigtime, is flexible no chippping.
Also took piece of scrap 3/4" plywood two brush strokes of zavlar laid piece of 3/16 plexiglass 2" onto plywood and then a couple of brush strokes of zavlar over the 2". When dry I tried to pull it apart, it wouldn't breakfree, very edge would lift but would suck right back down as soon as I removed my shoulder pressure, try a couple of days latter and same thing.
When I build a tank will be putting ledge under an beside window, 3 coats zavlar, drop window in, and then 3 more coats, no silicone.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
MFK2009;3699613; said:
I have been ordering Zavlar at local HomeHardware, its not in their catalog or online database, but if they contact their central warehouse, they will have it.
I've ordered 2 gallons and used to experiment with, painted the floor drain in my garage (paint always came off the metal and then it got rusty) First coat I used a foam roller, and other coats I liked a brush better. Did 4 coats, 3 sides were 8ftx1ft, 2-1ftx1ft ends, and 2sides on 8ftx1ft top cover Don't think will have any more rust trouble, this stuff sticks bigtime, is flexible no chippping.
Also took piece of scrap 3/4" plywood two brush strokes of zavlar laid piece of 3/16 plexiglass 2" onto plywood and then a couple of brush strokes of zavlar over the 2". When dry I tried to pull it apart, it wouldn't breakfree, very edge would lift but would suck right back down as soon as I removed my shoulder pressure, try a couple of days latter and same thing.
When I build a tank will be putting ledge under an beside window, 3 coats zavlar, drop window in, and then 3 more coats, no silicone.

Good info and nice first post.

But the name makes you sound like a calendar. :)

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
bass_cats;3694832; said:
So how many gallons of this stuff would it take to coat a 8'L x 3'W x 4'T tank?
About 5 gallons. My tank is almost 300 sq ft of surface area and they recommended 15 gallons. Yours is about 100 sq ft of surface area.

bottom = 8x3 = 24
back = 8x4 = 32
sides = 3x4 = 12 x 2 = 24
front = unknown since I don't know the size of your viewing window.

http://www.liquidrubber.ca/canada.asp sources in canada

K.Galvin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
Ireland
What do Ronseal call it? I have just been through 240 Ronseal products on the b&q website and there are no liquid rubber products.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store