portland, oregon
:popcorn:subscribed

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
cvermeulen;3039160; said:
Pond armor goes on in like 100mil coats based on what I've seen in other threads. This product looks cool, about the same price as using fiberglass resin, but without the smell, or the need to mix up individual batches.
Pond Armour only required a total build thickness of 10 mils, not 100, although I do recall reading about some people applying it thicker than that.

Still, I think Pond Armour would be more expensive based on the prices I just saw on their site.

And without a doubt not having to mix up indvidual batches is a huge advantage. I hope it works.

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
tthanatoss;3041756; said:
lol where were you a month ago when I shelled out for Pond Armor.
i almost went that route too. but i held off with the thought that pond armour cannot be the only thing that can get the job done. I also read/seen that it is very hard to work with. plus its costs a bit for me. I priced it hear at $119 for a 1.5 quart kit. it would have came to $269 for the two kits i would have needed. Im very glad i found this stuff. If you check out the build, it is also great to work with!

Grog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
Inverhuron, Ontario
It's an exciting option if it works as promised. One gallon at about $40 CND. will cover approx 30 sq.ft at 1 mil thickness. The product rep suggests at least a 2 millimetre thickness or 80ml. So for a typical 220 build at 8x2x2 with a full glass front you'd need approx 85 or 90 sq. which would put it in the $120 ballpark....if it's easier to work with than epoxy or fiberglass, cheaper, and less hazardous to your health then it should be a prefered material. I'm wondering how glass or acrylic will bond to it with silicone...hopefully waterpressure alone won't be the fix. Guys with cinderblock builds would love this stuff too. Ponders in the U.K have been sealing concrete ponds with a similar product for years and they don't mess around I tell you...

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
The funny thing is, is that it's basically the same elastomeric compound as we discussed in the "ugly thread". It should work just fine. I've built tanks with a similar prouct and they still hold water and fish..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store